3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2009 8:10 PM by popster

flashbuilder/flex with ecommerce

popster Level 1

as a fairly new convert to flashbuilder/flex, I am curious if there is a component that works well with products in an ecommerce site.  For example, I have the ability to navigate through an ecommerce web site with categories, sub categories, and products.  First, I would like to find a component for the products, then add navigation for paging through the products.

Is something like this build into Flashbuilder or would you have to build a custom component.  If you know of components available for purchase, I would be interested in this.

I want to learn Flashbuilder but my resources are limited.  I don't mind spending money on components if they will help me achieve my objective in building something useful.

• 1. Re: flashbuilder/flex with ecommerce
          Michael Borbor Level 4

Sure there are a lof of Flex components in the Flex exchange area

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/index.cfm?event=productHome&exc=15

But you'll most probably will target Flex 3 , because Flex 4 is still under

development.

• 2. Re: flashbuilder/flex with ecommerce
            JeffryHouser Level 4

It sounds to me like you want a full fledged application, not just a component.  Most of what you describe sounds too application specific to be wrapped up in a generic, extensible, reusable component.

Either that or I don't understand what you're asking for.

Do you envision how the navigation will take place through categories and subcategories and products?  If you had something more specific perhaps we could direct you better.

• 3. Re: flashbuilder/flex with ecommerce
              popster Level 1

thank you very much for your feedback

Yes, I would like to learn how to build a full fledged ecommerce, shopping cart application in Flex.  Unfortunately, I don't have the skills, knowledge, experience, or resources to do it.

I would like to start with a few products in a database, add databinding (using Cold Fusion) to get the records, then incorporate navigation (first, previous, next, last) with only those products.  I have a basic grasp of databinding after going through a few tutorials using databinding with Cold Fusion.

There's so much cool stuff in Flex, such as displaying detail level data but that will come later.

To summarize what I am trying to do is learn how to build a full fledged shopping cart in Flashbuilder/Flex.  I am not the type of person who builds custom components.  Plus, I don't have the tools right now to build a custom component.  I learn best with simple examples and snippets, then incorporate the simple examples into projects.

I welcome all advise.  Remember when you were first learning Flex.  That may have been a couple of years ago.  Today, you now have the tools and skills to build something sophisticated.  But, if you had to start all over again, what advice would you give?