5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2009 6:12 AM by Harbs.

Smart Text Reflow

west98

Hello,

is it possible to use smart text reflow * with IDS CS4?

What I try:

I create a document (based on a master spread) with a defined number of pages (e.g. 4). After that I place and format the XML content. With activated smart text reflow in the master spread document CS4 client automatically adds new pages to avoid overset text. But with the same master spread and the same jsx-script Indesign Server does not - the last page is number 4 and it has overset text.

A litte bit strange seems to me that during js script execution Indesin client says, last page is number 4. After saving and reopening the document last page number is 5 - the page added by smart text reflow has become a "regular" one (doing that on IDS doesn't help - last page is still number 4).

Does anybody know how to use this feature to automatically add pages on IDS?

* http://help.adobe.com/en_US/InDesign/6.0/WSa285fff53dea4f8617383751001ea8cb3f-6f99a.html#W S08B020D4-C42B-4a08-A0D2-ECA318D1C39F

• 1. Re: Smart Text Reflow
          Harbs. Level 6

Why do you want to use Smart Text Reflow in IDS? It's easy enough to 

do that yourself with a script. I would also not be surprised if 

scripting it would be more reliable even if you could get Smart Text 

Reflow to work...

Harbs

• 2. Re: Smart Text Reflow
            west98 Level 1

Of couse it's possible to write the code yourself. But I thought it would be easier to use an Indesign built in function instead of writing my own script code.

West98

• 3. Re: Smart Text Reflow
              Harbs. Level 6

I just don't trust Smart Text Reflow... It's effects seem to be 

delayed as well. I don't think relying on it to happen before you move 

on in your script is a good idea either way. (Not even in ID Desktop.) 

When I write the code, I know exactly what it'll do, and when...

Harbs

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Smart Text Reflow
                jay fresno Level 1

Harbs,

I'm having a heck of a time using Smart Text Reflow, trying to make it work in an efficient manner in InDesign CS4 (I don't use the server product). The 3 page minimum limitation is difficult to deal with. I'm not a programmer and wouldn't know where to even start writing a script to do the equivalent of smart text reflow. Has anyone attempted to write such a script that might be useful to "the rest of us"?

• 5. Re: Smart Text Reflow
                  Harbs. Level 6

Hi Jay,

If you want something that's really useful, check out AutoFlow Pro. http://in-tools.com/autoflowpro.html

It has a VERY rich feature set, and it works the way you'd expect it 

to...

Harbs

http://www.in-tools.com

Innovations in Automation