5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2009 3:38 AM by IrishAIRMax

Digital Signature?

IrishAIRMax

Hi Everyone,

I'm a student and for my MSc project I have choosen to create a AIR app.

But how do I test my air app without purchasing a Digital Signature as I cannot afford that?

Thanks in advance,

IrishAIRMax

• 1. Re: Digital Signature?
          Michael Borbor Level 4

You don't need a digital certificate, your test user will get a warning that

your app can't be verified but they would be able to install your app, and

run it without any issues.

• 2. Re: Digital Signature?
            IrishAIRMax Level 1

Thanks for getting back to me Michael,

I can't seem to make a .air file without signature. The only option Flash Builder is giving me is to create .air with digital signature or .airi without signature.

Even when I try to run the application, it does not appear on screen and if I click on the button a second time, it tells me that the app is already running and must be shut down first. But it did not appear on my screen? Or in my processes?

I tried to create a digital signature myself via

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AIR/1.5/devappshtml/WS5b3ccc516d4fbf351e63e3d118666ade46-7f74. html

and

adt -certificate -cn name [-ou org_unit][-o org_name][-c country] key_type pfx_file password

but I am using Vista and this looks like linux command line to me?

Any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks so much!

IrishAIRMax

• 3. Re: Digital Signature?
              Joe ... Ward Level 4

I haven't used Vista, but surely there is a way to get to a command prompt.

Also, Flex Builder 3 had a way to create your own signature file. Did they remove that from Flash Builder?

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Digital Signature?
                tzeng Adobe Employee

You should be able to use Flash Builder to create a self signed certificate.

If you use adt to generate the certificte, you need to install Java first. Then launch command-prompt by clicking the start button, then type

cmd <Enter>

Then you can generate the cert using adt.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Digital Signature?
                  IrishAIRMax Level 1

Thank you all for your help.

yes i tried the command given above in the command promt but I think it is a Linux/Apple command and not a windows command, that is where the problem lay there.

To give a concreate answer for anyone who looks at this post and has the same problem, yes within Flash Builder, you can create a self-signed signature. This is done by the "create..." button beside the "browse" button in the digtial signature section the UI box.

I got confused by the "create..." button cause I thought it was to create a digital signature through one of the companies that offer the service, my bad, in reflection, once I had done it, this was a pretty stupid quesion although, there is a big difference between Digital Signature and Self Signed Signature, should Adobe of put a third radion button in? There was plenty of space in the UI box for it?

Thank you all for your help again, much appreciated

IrishAIRMax