1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 23, 2009 5:34 AM by Ned Murphy

Incrementing several movieclip positions when adding to stage using for loop?

keithwoods

I'm adding several similar movieclips to the stage with a 'for' loop. However, I'd like to increment the position of each movieclip when added on to the stage. I know exactly where I want each movie clip positioned as well. At the moment I just have a small 'for' loop which setups the movieclip. Like so...

ActionScript Code:
      for (var i:uint = 0; i<=8; i++)             {                 zone[i] = new Zone();                        }

I then have a long list adding and setting each mc position on the stage...

ActionScript Code:
      stage.addChild(zone[0]);             zone[0].x=267.6;             zone[0].y=120.5;             stage.addChild(zone[1]);             zone[1].x=596.5;             zone[1].y=120.5;         // code repeated for each movieclip until...             stage.addChild(zone[8]);             zone[8].x=925;             zone[8].y=364.6;

What I'd like to do is make this code more efficient and somehow get the long list of code above into the for loop? For example...

ActionScript Code:
      for (var i:uint = 0; i<=8; i++) {      zone[i] = new Zone();      // and start the position aspect of the loop with something like...      // zone[i].x=135 - so this will be x coordinates for zone[0]      // zone[i].x=30 - y coordinates for zone[0]     stage.addChild(zone[i]);     // then somehow increment the x and y positions for the next zone movieclips
          //...so add 315 to the zone[1].x position and add 165 to zone[1].y }

Although I've just had a thought as I was typing that last bit of code. Will I need to setup a for loop for each row...so the y position remains constant and I just increment the x value for each movie clip, and then repeat this for loop for the next row with the new y coordinate?

Any pointers greatly appreciated!

• 1. Re: Incrementing several movieclip positions when adding to stage using for loop?
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If the x increments would be equally soaced, then you can have a starting x value and add the increment for each loop. If they are somewhat irregular, hen you can use and array that holds the x values for each instance.

var xplacement:Number = 267.6;

var yPlacement:Number = 120.5;

for (var i:uint = 0; i<=8; i++)
          {
                    zone[i] = new Zone()
                    zone[i].x= xPlacement;
                    zone[i].y= yPlacement;
                    stage.addChild(zone[i]);
                    xPlacement += ?;
                    yPlacement += ?;
          }