5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2009 11:54 PM by Ramón G Castañeda

Canon Powershot SX1 IS CR2 files support?

Tulisuudelma Level 1

Hey,

I'm using Canon Powershot SX1 IS and CR files it spits out can't be opened via Adobe Photoshop CS4 Extended (using ACR 5.4RC).

I was wondering is support coming or even in any roadmap (on year 2009)?

• 1. Re: Canon Powershot SX1 IS CR2 files support?
          JimHess-hP0R75 Level 2

I don't think anyone here can really tell you for sure.  But even if you have to wait for the next release, you can still shoot JPEG images and edit them in ACR until support is available.  I wonder why so many new users think they cannot even use their new camera if they cannot edit the raw images in ACR.  JPEG images from today's cameras are really very good.  And in the meantime, you can use the Canon software to process your raw images.  I guess really that's your choice anyway.  Support will be available when it's available.

• 2. Re: Canon Powershot SX1 IS CR2 files support?
            Tulisuudelma Level 1

I'm sure Adobe can tell me if they even put it on todo list of some ACR release, perhaps 5.5?

I know I can use my camera.... Guess what, I am using JPEG, since I can't use RAW, or use them in Adobe products (yet). It just a mere question to Adobe when will they release the support and small bump to the whole subject, since camera has been out for some time and support hasn't shown up yet.

I know I can edit RAW pictures in Canons software, but obviously I would like to edit them in Lightroom and Photoshop, since I'm moaning at these forums. I know support will come one day, but perhaps bit sooner if people actually tell Adobe that there's a problem.

• 3. Re: Canon Powershot SX1 IS CR2 files support?
              Ramón G Castañeda Level 4

Tulisuudelma wrote:

I'm sure Adobe can tell me if they even put it on todo list of some ACR release, perhaps 5.5?

Adobe has a policy of not commenting on unreleased software.  Members of the ACR team may give you a hint, but not a definite answer.

If you think about it, it wouldn't make a bit of difference to you.

Tulisuudelma wrote:

…since I'm moaning at these forums. I know support will come one day, but perhaps bit sooner if people actually tell Adobe that there's a problem.

Quite the opposite:  the ACR team has publicly stated here that posts like yours actually delay the support for your camera by virtue of the time wasted by them reading your "moaning posts".

• 4. Re: Canon Powershot SX1 IS CR2 files support?
                Jeff Schewe Level 5

Tulisuudelma wrote:

I'm using Canon Powershot SX1 IS and CR files it spits out can't be opened via Adobe Photoshop CS4 Extended (using ACR 5.4RC).

Try the GM release posted on the Camera Raw Home Page

• 5. Re: Canon Powershot SX1 IS CR2 files support?
                  Ramón G Castañeda Level 4

Thanks, Jeff.

I had noticed the unannounced, unofficial support for the Pentax K-7 in the RC version, and I'm happy to see that camera officially supported in the GM release of ACR 5.4.  This is superb support for a camera that hasn't hit the shelves even in Japan!

Glad to see that kind of cooperation between Pentax and Adobe.

1 person found this helpful