3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2009 1:59 PM by Chunick

Guidance needed: is Director the answer?

webchic2008

I need to create an interface/menu in order to give users the ability to select various company marketing materials that are in a variety of formats. Formats would be: PowerPoint, SWF, AVI, MOV, urls, and the kitchen sink.

I've utilized Flash so far, but I'm running into some glitches. I thought I would give a shout out and see if you all would recommend Director instead. I'm at my wits end and looking for the light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Guidance needed: is Director the answer?
          Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional

You might have to be more sepcific about what you mean by

the ability to select various company marketing materials that are in a variety of formats.

For example, what are they going to do with these files once selected?

• 2. Re: Guidance needed: is Director the answer?
            webchic2008 Level 1

Good point.

We have a vistor's center that has computers that are networked to large monitors and projectors/screens. Users will select from a menu of items what they would like to view. The items will vary from a PPT slideshow, to AVIs, to URLs with on-line demos.

Initially, I'm looking for a way to navigate to various files via a "menu". A subsequent project will be to try and house all these files, with the exception of the URLs, on a single DVD, which I'm not even sure is possible considering all the various file formats.

Hopefully, this clarifies the situaiton.

• 3. Re: Guidance needed: is Director the answer?
              Chunick Level 3

Director is THE tool to handle various multimedia formats, but there's a huge difference between a controlled environment and a DVD that will run on any old PC/mac computer.

If you're trying to support a wide range of video formats then there's the codec problem. D11.5 does support for MP4, H.264, FLV, and F4V video formats natively now. Playing other video formats either requires other Xtras like MPEG Advance Xtra or the user having Quicktime (for MOV) or Windows Media Player (for WMV), etc.

You can supply the stand alone PPTViewer (google it) so that you can load PPT presentations in PPTViewer thru Director.

SWFs will run if they haven't been made with AS3 (AS2 is the highest support, currently).

URLs are, of course, fine as you can load them with the user's default browser.