6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2008 6:00 AM by Papillon-ch

Recording Error

Jo_Allwright
      Captivate does not properly capture system. Misses out slides and produces slides that are partially formed. This happens when recording both demo & assesment. I am trying to record a system used to record money transactions in a bank for training purposes. It also seems to miss out pop-ups such as those regarding whether to print a document. This happens intermittently.

Also, once a demo has been recorded, can it be copied so that it can be used as an assesment?

Thanks
        • 1. Re: Recording Error
          Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          Welcome to our community, Jo

Is the application you are recording web based? If so, you should probably review the thread linked below:
          Click here to read the thread

If you are using Captivate 3, note that you may actually record the same series of steps a single time that result in multiple modes. But that's not what you asked. You asked if one may copy a demo recording and use it as an assessment. The answer is absolutely! Just click File > Save As... and save to a new name. Then remove the demo bits and add in the assessment bits.

Cheers... Rick
          • 2. Re: Recording Error
            Jo_Allwright Level 1
            Thanks Rick.

The application is not web based. It is a programme which runs from my hard drive, although connects to our internal server within the company.

As to the assessment query. What I was really after is a lazy way to convert the demo to assesment, as although I now know you can record both at the same time, when I first started recording I wasn't aware of this. What I would like to do is to convert a demo to an assessment and have it put it all the assessment bits such as not automatically moving on slides when playing and having the triggers such as clicking somewhere to continue, as it does when recording an assessment normally. Is possible or do I have to do it the long way?!

Thanks
            • 3. Re: Recording Error
              Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              Hi again Jo

Nope, no magick bullets with that one. No simple "click here to convert your Demo to an Assessment" button. You have to take the long way around.

Cheers... Rick
              • 4. Re: Recording Error
                Jo_Allwright Level 1
                Thanks for that.

Any more ideas on the partial recording issue? It still either only records part of a screen, or doesn't record pop-ups (but bizzarely it records what is behind the pop up, as if the pop-up were never there in the first place and records the keystrokes used to navigate within the pop up but not the pop-up itself.

Cheers
                • 5. Re: Recording Error
                  Spiersey Level 1
                  Hi Jo

Captivate effectively takes a single "snapshot" of a screen, so this problem arises from the shot being taken at the point where your screen "begins" to change.

The only way around this (that I am aware of - but Rick - dive in if there's a better way) is to take a manual "snapshot" of the screen once the change is complete; this is done by using the Print Screen key.

When I record I use prnt scn liberally to ensure that I have all of the shots I need to build the project. This usually means that I have twice as many slides as I need, but much easier to delete any you don't want than to start trying to record new screens half way through a project.

So, as an example, if I were recording a project on how to "Select All" from the Edit menu, I would move the mouse pointer over the Edit menu (Edit turns blue) and "Print Screen", click on the menu, sub menu appears and "Print Screen", move mouse pointer over Cut, which turns blue and "Print Screen", and so it goes on. As I said, there will be duplicate slides but these are easily deleted.

Hope this helps
                  • 6. Re: Recording Error
                    Papillon-ch
                    Also try to click slowly. If you go too quickly, it can't keep up with you and takes snpashots in between screens.