3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2009 3:57 AM by Bishop10

Profiles ACR 3.3 and ACR 4.4 missing?

Bishop10

I have Photoshop CS4 installed with ACR 5.3.  I ran the camera profiles installer that accompanied the ACR plugin module in the update download. (Though the download was labeled ACR and DNG, the DNG installer was missing in action.) Presently I'm awaiting a second (replacement) 5D Mark II, but meanwhile I noticed that if I open a RAW file from the 5D in ACR, I have the ACR 3.3 and ACR 4.4 profiles listed in the Camera Profiles pop-up menu along with the 'camera' profiles, as I'm used to. But when I open a Mark II RAW file, the ACR 3.3 and 4.4 profiles aren't listed. Can anyone say why they're not accessed along with the camera profiles in the latter case?

• 1. Re: Profiles ACR 3.3 and ACR 4.4 missing?
          Jeff Schewe Level 5

Bishop10 wrote:

Can anyone say why they're not accessed along with the camera profiles in the latter case?

Sure...since the 5D MII was not supported in any earlier versions of Camera Raw, the first version to support it was ACR 5.3.

Since ACR 5.2, the DNG Profiles are the primary profiles for any new cameras added AFTER ACR 5.2. As a result, there will _NEVER be any earlier profiles for new cameras that ship after the release of the DNG Profile update. So, the Adobe Standard is now the primary default profile and the other vender matching profiles are also supplied.

There will never be any earlier profiles because Adobe isn't profiling cameras that way any more (which most people think is a really good thing).

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Profiles ACR 3.3 and ACR 4.4 missing?
            Bishop10 Level 1

Thanks for that explanation, Jeff. I was thinking along those lines but then considered wrongly that ACR vintage 3.3, if not 4.4, had pre-dated the original 5D (Sept/Oct '09). Too bad - I was partial to 3.3 for certain photos for its rendering of red, not too orange, not too blue, and with a top note of cherries.

• 3. Re: Profiles ACR 3.3 and ACR 4.4 missing?
              Bishop10 Level 1

Jeff, Sorry, was confused about marking question 'correctly' answered, not just helpfully' answered. Simplification, thy name is not Adobe.