14 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2009 7:22 AM by watsonlance

Separating Textboxes

watsonlance Level 2

Here is the situation: I am working with pre-designed illustrator layouts (invite cards, RRSP, Tags, Stickers, etc) for our website that we are evolving so customers can fill in their own information. In order for this to work all the text needs to be setup one line per layer so the website can link to the specific layer in illustrator.

Here is the problem: All the files have the text built in a single text box (like if you were writing a paragraph). I need to break up the text box into individual rows of text, and though this can be done with cut & paste, we have so many that would take forever.

Help: If anyone out there knows of a feature/action/trick in illustrator that will break up the lines faster than good old cut & paste, please help.

Example:

Mr. and Mrs. John L. Smith along with

Mr. and Mrs. Mark Franklin Jacobson

request the honor of your presence

at their celebration party.

(curently this is a paragraph in a textbox usinging the enter key, i need each line to be it's own text box)

Thanks in advance,

• 1. Re: Separating Textboxes
          Scott Falkner Level 5

Try saving a PDF without Illustrator Editing Capability. Turn off all tracking and kerning (set Kerning to 0, not Auto) first. Close, then open the PDF. Each line will be a separate text object. Set kerning back to what you like after opening the PDF.

I believe setting the kerning to 0 will help prevent getting multiple text objects per line. Untested.

• 2. Re: Separating Textboxes
            Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Would it be possible to make this text tab or comma delimitated text so it could be imported as a variable dat set.

Being added to already imported xml data set library.

?

• 3. Re: Separating Textboxes
              watsonlance Level 2

Thanks for the suggestions so far, however they so far are not the solution. Creating Pdf's and then reopening them in illustrator would probably work but since i have around 100 files with maybe 2-10 lines of text on them this would be even longer than cut&paste. If this was one file with multiple pages it would probably be a good approach, but since they are so small then my hands are still tied.

As for importing it as a variable dat set, i am not sure what your suggesting. I am not very technical in the whole putting it on the web part i am a graphic designer doing what my programer tells me needs done. This may work but i'll need a dummy guide on how to do it.

Thanks for the suggestions guys,

anyone else out there have an answer?

• 4. Re: Separating Textboxes
                Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Ask your web developer if variables would work importing the data from the web form as a data set and importing it into an already set up xml library set.

if it works then all you need to do is have the data import into the library have it save then open the ai fie and select any of the new data sets and that populates the lines with the text.

If it is a question of just printing it you can have a script created that will just open the file and print all new data sets imported after a certain date.

On one hand this is a lot of work to set up unless you really now how to do it well and on the other hand it you would not be needed to do all this work.

So maybe it would not be wise.

• 5. Re: Separating Textboxes
                  Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Ask your web developer if variables would work importing the data from the web form as a data set and importing it into an already set up xml library set.

if it works then all you need to do is have the data import into the library have it save then open the ai fie and select any of the new data sets and that populates the lines with the text.

If it is a question of just printing it you can have a script created that will just open the file and print all new data sets imported after a certain date.

On one hand this is a lot of work to set up unless you really now how to do it well and on the other hand it you would not be neeeded to do all this work.

• 6. Re: Separating Textboxes
                    Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

On one hand this is a lot of work to set up unless you really now how to do it well and on the other hand it you would not be neeeded to do all this work.

• 7. Re: Separating Textboxes
                      Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

• 8. Re: Separating Textboxes
                        Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

• 9. Re: Separating Textboxes
                          Trevor Metcalfe Level 1

Look down this list of scripts.  You'll see DIVIDE TEXT FRAMES.  Just what the doctor ordered!!

http://vectips.com/tricks/10-free-and-extremely-useful-illustrator-scripts/

• 10. Re: Separating Textboxes
                            watsonlance Level 2

Trevor, your my hero.

Wish the script was CS4 compatible, but i opened the file on one of our older computers with CS2 on it and it works amazing! This will save me days of work, thanks.

• 11. Re: Separating Textboxes
                              Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It is compatible with CS4. Make sure that you have saved the file with a .jsx extension. It works best with multi-line point text. Area text is another story.

• 12. Re: Separating Textboxes
                                ssarvaan

If you give "Object>Flatten Transparency" command, the paragraph text will be converted as seperated single line text objects.

1 person found this helpful
                                • 13. Re: Separating Textboxes
                                  Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

ssarvaan wrote:

If you give "Object>Flatten Transparency" command, the paragraph text will be converted as seperated single line text objects.

You are correct that got by us all they have to do is create an action flatten transparency and ungroup.

• 14. Re: Separating Textboxes
                                    watsonlance Level 2

Thanks Ssarvaan,

A little late on the thanks on my end but i have been super busy using this technique, and thought it was still valid since this has solved my problem.