7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2009 2:41 PM by Navarro Parker

How to Pixelate artwork

Navarro Parker Level 3

Is there a way to do this in Illustrator?  Easily?   If I Live Painted a mosiac image, I wouldn't get such uniform shapes.  Is there a way to uniformly fill an area with the Symbol function?

110359.jpg

• 1. Re: How to Pixelate artwork
          Scott Falkner Level 5

Try using a pattern swatch. Expand the fill then delete the unwanted pieces. You'll probably want to remove the original shape that is now masking the expanded pattern.

Picture 1.png

• 2. Re: How to Pixelate artwork
            Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

The easy way is to draw a large rectangle to a dimension that can easily be divided into square.

1. Then go to Object>Path>Split into Grid and enter the number of rows and columns that would make enough dots as you need.The Gi=utter measurement for both would be zero unless you want a small space between the dots.

2. Click OK now you have a grid with a lot of tiny squares, Perfect!

Oh, yes

3. Then go to Effects>Convert to Shape>Ellipse choose a size to match the height of one of the squares and click OK.

Oh, yes there's more

4. Expand or flatten the transparency

You can use the eraser tool to erase a rough area as the oceans and fine tune it selection tool.

• 3. Re: How to Pixelate artwork
              Steve Fairbairn Level 5

Object Mosaic may help.

mosaic.jpg

Here's a shot showing the original image and a mosaic made from it.

Embed your image. Go to Filter>Create>Object Mosaic (CS3) and select the number of rows and columns.

Then Filter>Stylize>Round Corners.

I put a black box at the back so that you can see what is what.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How to Pixelate artwork
                JETalmage Level 6
                Is there a way to uniformly fill an area with the Symbol function?

See the Javascript described on this page.

Rasterize the map.

Apply Object Mosaic.

Run the JET_ReplaceWithSymbol script.

JET

• 5. Re: How to Pixelate artwork
                  Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Regardless of the wish to fill the area with symbols this kind of thing looks like it was done manually as tediously as that might be it sure would seem like the most likely way.

That might not be the answer the OP wants but that is what they would have to do for this particular application.

The Mosaic is a good way with a better dot size to image detail ratio.

• 6. Re: How to Pixelate artwork
                    Steve Fairbairn Level 5

Of course you can adjust the dot size to image ratio as you please, probably using far more rows and columns than I did.

It's a good idea before you start to adjust the image to easily dividable proportions.

And if the original map is in 2 tones and you get a mosaic in 2 colours, you can easily select same fill colour and transform each to suit your taste.

My little example was done in a tearing hurry just to show the method.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: How to Pixelate artwork
                      Navarro Parker Level 3

Thanks for all the great answers! Nice to see there so many solutions!