12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2009 9:51 AM by Harm Millaard

Convert .pds to a usable format for Premiere Pro CS4

dbonnett

Does anyone know how to convert a .pds video file to a usable format for PP CS4? Premiere Pro doesn't support that file format & I can't find any software on the Internet that will convert it.  None of my other software will convert it.  Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Convert .pds to a usable format for Premiere Pro CS4
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

My first question is where did you get it... and does the vendor (camera brand?) for that file have software to use the format?

• 2. Re: Convert .pds to a usable format for Premiere Pro CS4
            dbonnett Level 1

This was sent to me by an individual in another state who wasn't familiar with video work for a surprise retirement video.  She taped her congratulations message and imported it into her computer, then burned a DVD in Windows Media Player.  She said this video clip plays in her Windows Vista computer with Windows Media Player.  I tried two different computers with no luck and none of the software that I have or have found on-line will convert so I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this format?

• 3. Re: Convert .pds to a usable format for Premiere Pro CS4
              Paterooni

I'm by no means an accomplished video professional, so there's probably more spiffy ways than this, but this solution is something you'll be able to apply to any situation like this that you'll run into...

If you can get past the name of the program, download this http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

And run it and then drop your file into there and see if it tells you what the encoding used is.

Usually if I find a weird format that I need to import, the first thing I do is drop it into gspot and figure out the encoding, then search for avisynth or virtualdub decoders for that format, then load it up in virtualdub and dump the footage into a lossless format, usually lagarith...  if avisynth can frameserve it relatively fast into Adobe Premiere, I just stick with a frameserver script of the video to save drive space.

Unless your destination format can be direct stream copied, as in you're just remultiplexing under a different wrapper for Adobe Premiere, I would never transcode any format to another compression type for your final product, especially if it appears that that's already happened a few times before you even got the footage.

If your editing program will not recognize the native format, either use the corresponding codec with virtualdub to dump a lossless video file, or find a codec to read it in avisynth and frameserve it into Premiere.

• 4. Re: Convert .pds to a usable format for Premiere Pro CS4
                Dan Isaacs Level 2

It seems to me this is a PowerDirector Project File. I have never used this program, but it seems to be an editor and DVD authoring program. It may be sort of like Nero's image format.

Perhaps you can find a copy PowerDirector and see what's in there. Maybe you need to burn it to DVD in PowerDirector and try importing the .VOBs??

• 5. Re: Convert .pds to a usable format for Premiere Pro CS4
                  dbonnett Level 1

Thanks SO much for the info!  I will keep this on file.  I was finall able to get the person to re-do the video clip in an AVI file and upload it on ShareFile.  Thanks again!

• 6. Re: Convert .pds to a usable format for Premiere Pro CS4
                    dbonnett Level 1

This information is very helpful!  I was able to get the person to re-do the video in AVI.  Thanks!

• 7. Re: Convert .pds to a usable format for Premiere Pro CS4
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

If it is a PowerDirector Project file, it is most likely similar to the .PRPROJ files from PrPro. It'll be a series of links. Likely that your client has the actual media files (which will be linked in the PDS file) on their computer and also PowerDirector. Then, to the client, it would seem that everything played fine, when you'd need the same setup, with Assets located in the same place, i.e. drive\folder for it to play for you. Many people falsely assume that if they do a Save (from any editing program), what they get is a playable AV file. It is not. They MUST Export (or Share, or whatever it's called in their program), to furnish someone with an editable, viewable file. On the PrElements forum, people are always asking why their .PREL files will not play on someone else's computer. Well, it's because there is nothing to "play."

I've got that CyberLink program, but have to admit to not using it that much, so I do not know the mechanics of its Project files. Since PowerDirector can Export to many different formats, that is probably what your client did (seeing as how you got a good AV file from them).

Glad that you got it sorted and got editable, viewable AV files. All's well, that ends well.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Convert .pds to a usable format for Premiere Pro CS4
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Dan,

Considering that it's a Project file, I'd guess that it's in XML, or similar, with no media, only links to media. I'll go and fire up the workstation, and open one of these, as I have CyberLink PowerDirector on it. I've used it in a few cases, where I could not get a good conversion from some odd client files. It's similar to PrElements, in that it does ingest a lot of off-the-wall stuff, that PrPro will not touch. However, all I've ever used it for was some very minor editing of this sort of "junk" footage, and then Export to miniDV tape to Capture in PrPro. Never looked at one of the PDS files in WordPad, or XML Wrench. Will do that, and report back, in case it helps someone else later.

Hunt

• 9. Re: Convert .pds to a usable format for Premiere Pro CS4
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, I would guess that it does not use XML. The .PDS file would not open in XML Wrench, but would open fine in WordPad. Do not know the exact language that is used. As I did this with a very basic Project, there was not a lot of material in it. It is basically a Project file, like PrPro's, just not in XML.

Hunt

• 10. Re: Convert .pds to a usable format for Premiere Pro CS4
                            dbonnett Level 1

I was able to "work around" this .pds issue.  I asked the originator to send me the original AVI file & she did on ShareFile.com.  Even after she sent me the original AVI file, I still had problems using it in my Adobe PPro CS4 project - saying file format not supported, even though it was an AVI file.  I converted the original AVI file to a Microsoft AVI using Adobe Media Encoder & the file still would not work in PPro.

There was a codec problem.  When I put the AVI file on the timeline, the video portion was black - would not play, but the audio worked.  It would display on one of my computers, but not on the one that I use for PPro.  I ended up with a codec error with codec SEDG needed, so I downloaded that codec and was able to use the AVI clip in my video project & finished the project just fine.

• 11. Re: Convert .pds to a usable format for Premiere Pro CS4
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

AVI is like the foil wrapper on a stick of gum, with the outer paper band removed. We think we know there's gum inside, but have no clue as to which flavor. Take a look at this ARTICLE for more background.

I use DigitalMedia Converter for most of my conversion needs. It DOES need any/all CODEC's installed on the system to work, so you may have to use G-Spot.

Conversion to DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit Audio is what you want.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Convert .pds to a usable format for Premiere Pro CS4
                                Harm Millaard Level 7

Be ready for a complete reinstall of OS and programs, since downloading codecs will usually create extreme havoc on your system. Just a warning.