2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2009 11:01 AM by BigJohnD

Trouble with Pagemaker Links

boyzgranny

How can I embed graphics in pagemaker 7.0.  I have a 40 page document that I have printed before and converted to a pdf.  Now my links are not embedding.  I went back and re-linked everything from a clip art disc.  As soon as I eject the disc the links disapper.  I can't understand why things aren't linking or embedding.  Any help would be so appreciated. You can email me at licketyprint@earthlink.net

thanks

Linda

• 1. Re: Trouble with Pagemaker Links
          Level 4

DO NOT EMBED images in Pagemaker this is the fastest way to to destroy a PM file. copy the files you need to link to your hard drive put them all in the same folder, point PM at that folder and it will link all the files.

• 2. Re: Trouble with Pagemaker Links
            BigJohnD Level 3

From the old PM Forum FAQs:

ONLY use File>Place to bring graphics into PageMaker
            When placing images in a PageMaker file, the following message appears:“The graphic in the linked file would occupy xxxxxxx bytes in the publication. Include the complete copy in the publication anyway?”The correct answer to this question is always "NO".
            (You can permanently avoid this popup in future docs by unchecking "store copy in publication" under Element -> Link Options with no publication open. You can do the same to avoid further prompts in pre-existing documents.)
            l
            Do NOT use Insert Object or Paste Special
            Object Linking and Embedding is highly problematic in the Postscript environment (e.g. creating PDFs), severely restricts portability (other applications have to be present) and is really only present in PageMaker to gain Microsoft approval as a Windows application. It has been dispensed with in newer applications, e.g. InDesign.
            l
            Do not Place graphics from a floppy, Zip disk, CD, or network drive. Copy the graphic file to your local hard drive, then Place.
            l
            Use only TIF or EPS graphics (plus PSD and AI with PM7)
            l
            Do NOT use JPEG, GIF, WMF, CGM, DXF, or any graphics format other than TIF or EPS (Click here for the Adobe Knowledgebase article about the Limitations of Metafiles.)
            l
            You can place PDFs as graphics - they are essentially handled as EPS by PageMaker
            l
            Do NOT copy/paste graphics from other applications. The Windows clipboard will lose information required by PageMaker for high quality output.
            l
            Do not embed your graphics in PageMaker documents. Link only. (See the first bullet point)
            l
            Save Illustrator or CorelDraw graphics as EPS for placing in PageMaker
            l
            For best results with Illustrator EPS, convert all type to outlines, and save back to version 7.
            l
            Save Photoshop graphics as TIF (the exception is duotones - save as EPS)
            l
            Size your Photoshop graphics in Photoshop - do not scale in PageMaker, or if you must, do NOT scale UP (e.g. stretch a TIF to make it larger) in PageMaker.
            l
            Photoshop's preferences should be set to NOT embed profiles in grayscale images - they can cause problems in PageMaker
            l
            PageMaker supports transparency in vector EPS or TIFs with clipping paths ONLY. GIFs will not retain transparency and shouldn't be used in PageMaker anyway. See the other FAQs in section 3 for more details on transparency.
            l
            PageMaker does not support progressive JPGs nor 16bits/channels TIFFs. Use Photoshop and re-save as 8bits/channel TIFFs.

Iechyd da! John
            19:01 24/06/2009 BST