7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2009 11:59 AM by Mortimer IOU

Multitrack Audio

JBrown321 Level 1

This may be a stupid question but how can I make a master audio track in Premiere?  Do I have to nest into another sequence?  Is this the same as a multitrack file?  I want to be able to take the audio from all track and make it into one and also i would like to know how to save a multitrack file for soundbooth.  Just curious.   Thanks for any help.

• 1. Re: Multitrack Audio
          Eddie Lotter Level 4

I can't help you with Soundbooth, but your first question is easy. You don't have to do anything special, PPro already takes all of your audio tracks and mixes them into a single master track.

Your master track can be mono, stereo or 5.1 depending on what you selected when you created your sequence.

Have a look at the tutorials in the Audio category. They will teach you what you need to know about audio in PPro.

Cheers
          Eddie

Message was edited by: Eddie Lotter. Added link to tutorials.

• 2. Re: Multitrack Audio
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Do not know Soundbooth, but in Audition, one defines what they want to end up with and how they want it and then they just do a Save_As and choose the format/CODEC. With multi-track mixes, they can save each Track as a separate WAV (or other), or they can do down-mixes into any number of files. It's all about what you wish to end up with. In earlier versions of Soundbooth, one could not do multi-track work. Do not know if the newer version has added that.

As Eddie points out, your Master Audio Track is created for you, based on the settings of your Sequence. You do not have to do anything, other than Mute an Audio Track that you do not want in the Master. You can also Export, just the Master (remember, you can chosse which AT's to use in the Master, and can do different versions) as an Audio-only file.

What exactly do you have and what do you wish to end up with?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Multitrack Audio
              JBrown321 Level 1

I was just curious as to how or if I can save a multitrack type fromat from premiere to bring into soundbooth.  I know that you can import a premiere project into soundbooth, but don't remember if it brings in individual tracks or just a single track. Thanks to Both of you for the help, I feel pretty stupid knowing now that the master audio track and fader was right in fromt of me the whole time.

• 4. Re: Multitrack Audio
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Not sure exactly how things work between PrPro and Soundbooth. If you want discrete Audio Tracks as individual files, I'd use the Mute function on all but one AT and Export. Change the AT's and Export again. Step through your entire set of AT's, Muting all but one each time, and you can then Import these individual AT Audio files into Soundbooth to edit, provided that SB CS4 has added multi-track editing. Again, you will want to decide how you wish to handle the Audio, when time comes to get it back into PrPro. Hint: you can Mute all AT's but one, from either the AT header, or from the Audio Mixer. I like the Audio Mixer, just 'cause it's bigger in my Workspace and I can see those little checkmarks better. Tired old eyes, I guess.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Multitrack Audio
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

I know that you can import a premiere project into soundbooth, but don't remember if it brings in individual tracks or just a single track.

Best way to know is to actually do it.  Then observe the results.

• 6. Re: Multitrack Audio
                    Mortimer IOU Level 2

The master audio track in Pr is not, as I understand it, a downmix of your audio tracks. It is essentially a mixer, a way to add markers and adjust volume for the mix of your audio tracks, but is not itself an audio file. What you can do is right-click each audio track and open it in Sb. Then in Sb you can export a multitrack file to be used in Pr or someplace else. You have to do one track at a time from Pr to Sb. It would be nice to be able to select all the audio tracks and open them in Sb in one operation, but you can't.

Also, you cannot open the audio track in a nested sequence in Soundbooth, which seems a little strange, I guess.

You cannot export a sequence from Pr to Sb, but in Sb you can, via DL, open a Pr sequence, or at least it seems you can. I know I did it once, but could not do anything with it. Now I tried it again, but the option is greyed out. I'll have to play with it some more.

You can send a sequence to Encore via DL, which gives you a single audio track that is a mix of all your Pr audio tracks. Not sure what you want to do, so that may not help.

• 7. Re: Multitrack Audio
                      Mortimer IOU Level 2

The import Pr sequence in Soundbooth is active only when a new multitrack session has been opened. Then the audio track of the import is the mixdown of all the audio tracks in Pr. This can then be exported from Sb as a single audio track.