31 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2010 7:23 AM by Michelmnr

External Monitor Premiere CS4

hotphoto

When I used to use Premiere 6.5 I used a Matrox Capture Card RT 2500 and with that I could see what the video was doing on this external monitor, actually an old Commodore 1701, works really well by the way. I have 6 of them mostly free but the most I paid was $10 for one. Works as well as a Sony Monitor!

Anyway to my point, I had to upgrade my computer for editing and it came with a 1394 firewire and a ATI Ratheon HD 2400 Pro.

The outputs on the video card are 15 pin for my computer monitor and a SUPER-V out. If I use the S-V all I get is a scrambled screen on my Commodore. When I hook up to a ext. monitor all I get is something that doesn't look like it is synced or the modulation is off.

What do I need to do here. I don't like using just  the Pro program to watch the scrubbing or playback. Thanks for any help.

• 1. Re: External Monitor Premiere CS4
          Harm Millaard Level 7

S-Video does not work with PR. EOS (End of story).

The time of Amiga, Commodore and Altair is way behind us. Use firewire to connect a deck/camera as a pass-through to a TV for external viewing.

• 2. Re: External Monitor Premiere CS4
            hotphoto Level 1

Thx for the reply, so you are saying, using the same firewire I used to upload my video to the computer from my Sony player I can now take that same firewire from the computer and connect it to my Panasonic Mini DV Camera and then take the camera's output and connect to my monitor with it's RCA jack? I did that and all I have is a blank screen.

• 3. Re: External Monitor Premiere CS4
              Harm Millaard Level 7

P1000161.jpg

Yes. Your camera should be on VCR to work, not camera.

• 4. Re: External Monitor Premiere CS4
                hotphoto Level 1

Thx again, I am doing that and all I am getting is a blue screen when I plug my RCA output from the camera into the RCA input on the front of my Commodore monitor. If I switch to camera I see what the camera is seeing obviously on the monitor.  If I put a tape into the camera and playback that way it shows on the monitor. The only time I get the blue screen is when I am playing back in PRO and using the Firewire from the camera to the computer.

Is there some setting in PRO I should be setting for this? Thx

• 5. Re: External Monitor Premiere CS4
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

No. Set the camera to VCR. It may be your Commodore, try with an old TV, borrow one from your daugher from her bedroom or from the neighbours to try it out.

• 6. Re: External Monitor Premiere CS4
                    hotphoto Level 1

Yeah I will do that, gotta go out for a couple of hours I will let you know later how I made out. Thanks so much for the help you give. 5 Stars...Phil

• 7. Re: External Monitor Premiere CS4
                      hotphoto Level 1

Hello again, I got a different Television, a regular one with RCA and S-V inputs and again just a blue screen, if I playback a tape on the camera, that will show but nothing from the computer.

Does it matter that my Firewire does not go through my video card or a capture card, but just through my USB?

Thx again.

• 8. Re: External Monitor Premiere CS4
                        hotphoto Level 1

Sorry, it's not USB but OPT, still not coming out of video card though.  thx

• 9. Re: External Monitor Premiere CS4
                          hotphoto Level 1

Still haven't been able to figure this out, I have done everything you have suggested. I was thinking maybe I have to change the settings in my ATI Radeon Control Center, do you think that could be it. Here's a screenshot of it.

• 10. Re: External Monitor Premiere CS4
                            hotphoto Level 1

Hi Harm, someone mentioned to me that I need to use the DVI output on the video card to a monitor that has DVI input, does that sound right? thx Phil

• 11. Re: External Monitor Premiere CS4
                              medeamajic Level 2

You can use the S-Video out put of the computers graphics card to monitor your work on an NTSC monitor. Both ATI and Nvidia require you to make use fo the anti flicker setting. There are a few other settings you might have to tinker wiith like blanking, syncing and timing settings.

• 12. Re: External Monitor Premiere CS4
                                hotphoto Level 1

Thx, I have a monitor on the way to my house right now that has a DVI input that I can use from the video card. DVI to DVI. So are you saying when I hook this up I might have to go into the ATI settings box to make some further adjustments?  Thx for your help...Phil

• 13. Re: External Monitor Premiere CS4
                                  medeamajic Level 2

You can use a computer monitor as the client/NTSC monitor but it is best to use a true NTSC monitor. I am assuming you are selecting the monitor as the external monitor to out put just the overlay of the program monitor. You can use a DV converter or the video cards S-Video and or HDMI and DVI connectors. With the HDMI connect or DVI connector you will not have as many option as when using an S-Video port but there will still be ways to tweak it out a tad bit. Just play around with the settings. By default most computer monitors work great wright out of the box.

• 14. Re: External Monitor Premiere CS4
                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

DVI is perfectly OK when using a computer monitor. That is how I use the two monitors shown in the picture in a previous post. DVI does not work for a TV. Your only solution is to use firewire out from the PC to a camera or deck and then connect the camera/deck in the usual analog way to the TV.

• 15. Re: External Monitor Premiere CS4
                                      hotphoto Level 1

Yeah, I know this, it just gives me what you have shown me. When I do the firewire thing all I get is a blue screen on whatever monitor or tv I use.  I just tried putting on the display mode of the camera so I could see the time and date on the camera display, just to see if that would show on the monitor and it does. So I now know that I am getting the signal there I am just not getting it to the camera with the firewire. I know the firewire works since that is what I used to upload my tapes. Is it possible it isn't working in the other direction?

Thx again

• 16. Re: External Monitor Premiere CS4
                                        Harm Millaard Level 7

The problem with a forum is that we can ony READ what you have posted, we can not look at your setup, we can't look over your shoulder, we can't see the steps you took, all we can go by is what you posted, and if that is not utterly clear, all we can do is guess.

The major problem I have now in trying to help you, is that it is not clear to me what EXACT steps you took to resolve the problem, what EXACT steps you took to get the blue screen, etc.

Previously I said you need to make sure your camera is set to VCR mode, not camera mode for playback. Did you do that? If I assume you did everything correctly, I can't replicate your problem. So that only leaves OE (Operator Error). The only way to resolve this is by being very explicit and precise.

• 17. Re: External Monitor Premiere CS4
                                          hotphoto Level 1

So, let's say I have done exactly what you have suggested.....Firewire to Camera from computer OPT output, Camera video output to television monitor input and I still only get a blue screen.

If these results happened to you what other things would you look for?

Could it be a switch on the motherboard or some other computer related setting because I have eliminated everything else other than computer.

Are there different kinds of Firewire, ones that maybe just upload to the computer and not the other direction? Something as silly as that.

Thank you for your help.

• 18. Re: External Monitor Premiere CS4
                                            hotphoto Level 1

Well I figured it out myself hooray, I thank you for all your help.

All I needed to do was open the program or source monitor in Pro and open the menu in the top right hand corner and change the playback settings!

Now that I know this maybe I can help someone in the future that has the same query.

Thx again.

• 19. Re: External Monitor Premiere CS4
                                              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Never mind!

• 20. Re: External Monitor Premiere CS4
                                                pebalsamo Level 2

So when viewing on an external monitor should the program monitor be playing too?  I know that when I was using CS3 both played but for some reason now only the external monitor is playing and the program monitor in PPro is just a still from where I started playing the CTI.  I have gone into playback settings and under Realtime Playback I have Desktop Video Display During Playback selected just not sure what I may have selected incorrectly.

[IMG]http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll34/pebalsamo/playback.jpg[/IMG]

PPro CS4.1

XP Pro 64 Bit

INtel Core 2 Quad 2.5GHz

8GB RAM

Phil

• 21. Re: External Monitor Premiere CS4
                                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Phil,

There is a bug in PR in the sense that when for playback you have selected Desktop Audio, the program monitor freezes when using an external monitor. When you select External Audio, it does not freeze. Adobe is looking into this issue, but I have not yet heard from them, although the incident has been escalated.

• 22. Re: External Monitor Premiere CS4
                                                    pebalsamo Level 2

Harm Millaard wrote:

Phil,

There is a bug in PR in the sense that when for playback you have selected Desktop Audio, the program monitor freezes when using an external monitor. When you select External Audio, it does not freeze. Adobe is looking into this issue, but I have not yet heard from them, although the incident has been escalated.

Thanks for the info....

I am glad to know at least this time it was not me doing something skrewy

Phil

• 23. Re: External Monitor Premiere CS4
                                                      hotphoto Level 1

Thanks for the heads up, you are a valuable asset to this forum.

• 24. Re: External Monitor Premiere CS4

Harm, I have never seen the bug while using Desktop Audio with an external monitor connected (my normal mode).  Since there is one major difference between our graphics configurations--ATI versus nVidia, I wonder if that might have anything to do with the problem??

• 25. Re: External Monitor Premiere CS4
                                                          Harm Millaard Level 7

Bill,

I don't think so, because people with nVidia cards have also reported this issue.

I has been discussed extensively and this thread http://forums.adobe.com/message/2017539#2017539 is part of the incident report at Adobe.

• 26. Re: External Monitor Premiere CS4
                                                            xleggs Level 1

Using the firewire camera is definitely the right answer, and is how I've done it since 1996. However, I've not been able to monitor HDV through my camera unless its a low resolution preview.

I've been thinking of getting one of these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/618348-REG/Matrox_MXO2_MINI_D_MXO2_Mini_for_Desktop. html

Has anyone used these?

I have a sizable screen for viewing, (I know, its ridiculous) but nothing to drive it at full res.

• 27. Re: External Monitor Premiere CS4

You know well the solution for the SD that you do, but for a second monitor for your HDV you do not use the camera, I use a 1920 x1200 computer montior (or HDTV with DVI input) attached to the second DVI port on my graphics card and in Premiere switch "Playback Settings" to that monior.

• 28. Re: External Monitor Premiere CS4
                                                                xleggs Level 1

My concern is the ability to calibrate that monitor so I know what I'm really looking at. I've just always made sure to have an NTSC monitor- even back in my pre-DV, Targa 2000 days. Now with HD, I'm not sure how to keep up standards. Many of my programs will be viewed on the internet or projected from windows media player. Others look like they'll be heading to blu-ray,

• 29. Re: External Monitor Premiere CS4
                                                                  Michelmnr Level 1

Well Good on you all, I was looking for the answer too, and could not see the Play Back set up menu, They moved it to the program monitor right click menu! Mind you it was not straight forward, even after choosing external monitor it took quite a while for the camera to respond. Yet there is only one choice in the drop down menu, NONE or DV 25 720 756i But eventually it came on tv!

It's interesting how the help menu on Play back give you all kind of non related answer till you get lucky.

I search CS4 pp time line play back in so many word jumbles before arriving to this thread!

Thanks again

• 30. Re: External Monitor Premiere CS4
                                                                    Michelmnr Level 1

Hi all, I'm still struggling with this feature. Sometimes I have no trouble to get a copy of my timeline output on my external monitor (analogue tv) other times it seems impossible and this with a project that I did get on my TV before. . I've unplugged all the camera cables, switched the camera off and on again to no avail. All I get it's my camera video play back screen on both camera and tv screen! Perhaps someone has an idea for such behavior. It's quite annoying because I don't really trust my safety area frame as I have been caught with parts of display missing although I had them within those frames. Thank you.

• 31. Re: External Monitor Premiere CS4
                                                                      Michelmnr Level 1

I just realised that my new problem is with my new Nvdia gt 220, I only had mixed result with the Radeon 4350, but with this one I have not been able to  display on my TV at all! I have read some stuff about GPU accelaration and Open GL but I don't understand it and really could not find those features in my Nvdia control panel.

If someone have an answer for me ....I could move on to the next hurdle! Thanx