3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2009 2:10 PM by Scott Falkner

illustrator colour separation

arhaic_d

Hi, i need help separating an image's CMYK colours for print. At the moment i have no ideea how to do that, i do have a hunch how to in Corel but that's it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: illustrator colour separation
          Jesseham Level 4

Usually, when you ask a commonly asked question, you'll get told to search.  This time however, you raise the bar.

Look at the post directly below your post.

• 2. Re: illustrator colour separation
            Scott Falkner Level 5

Document Color Mode should be CMYK. All swatches needing spot colour separation need to be defined as spot colours in the Swatches panel. You can convert spot colours to process when separating, so it's not as crucial to specify process colour swatches, but it's always a good idea.

File > Print. Your printer must be PostScript compatible. Adobe PostScript File qualifies. If you don't have a PostScript printer you can print to a PostScript and Distill in Acrobat Distiller or print to a PDF file, then print from Acrobat. Click on Output, then select Separation (Host-Based) next to Mode. Note the CMYK icon next to PANTONE Rubine Red C. This indicates I clicked on that icon in the dialogue to make that swatch print as a process colour.

Edit: Skip that last sentence.

Picture 2.png

• 3. Re: illustrator colour separation
              Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

archaic,

In addition to what has been said while I have been struggling with Firefox crashing upon Post Reply:

I would suggest your reading what the Fine Manual has to say about the subject. A search for Producing color separations will give you a stepwise basic introduction.