9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2009 12:59 PM by Paul_LS

Render settings for JVC HD Widescreen Using PE7

dice1036

I am using a JVC HD model GZ-HD3U that downloads into the computer as a .TOD file.  I have it capture at the full 1440 X 108i widescreen.  They seem to load fine into the program.  My question is what do I want as a rendering setting if I want to store the finished file on my computer for future editing?  The file size needs to be reasonable without sacrificing a lot of quality (especially since I will be re-editing the file).  I have experimented with MPEG and AVI formats - MPEG seems to make a very small file size, which worries me and AVI will not let you go beyond 720 x 480.

Secondly, I have a number of older video files from my DV camcorder days that are DV .AVI files that I would need to use with the newer JVC .TOD files in making new home videos.  What problems might that present.  My final destination is to burn to a DVD for family viewing.  At some point I hope to add a blue ray DVD burner to the mix.

Lastly, I have had a problem with some of the older DV files making a scratching sound in some parts of the video while loaded into the PE7 program.  These video clips do not have this sound problem when loaded into other video editing programs or when I play them through Windows Media player.  Any ideas on this problem?   Thank you for your help.

• 1. Re: Render settings for JVC HD Widescreen Using PE7
          Paul_LS Level 4

If you want to use the files with DV-AVI files from your other camcorder I would export the TOD files from PE7 as Widescreen DV-AVI. This will give you fewer headaches in the long run. File sizes are large but external hard drives are relatively cheap. You may also want to archive the high definition files for future when you may burn to Blu-ray.

Your DV-AVI files with the audio issues... were they captured in Premiere Elements or another program?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Render settings for JVC HD Widescreen Using PE7
            dice1036 Level 1

Thank you for your response.  The DV AVI files were captured with another editing program, but as I mentioned, when played in Windows Media player they are fine.  I also tried them in a third editing program (not the one used for capture) and the sound was fine.  Big mystery.

Concerning the response of saving the files as DV AVI - the setting does not let me render in the full 1440 x 1080i.  It only offers 720 x 480 (which I guess is the standard DV format).  I don't want to loss the higher density and quality.  Is there another option that will allow me to save in the higher format and widescreen, while keeping a large share of the file size and quality.  MPEG will do it, but the file size seems so small that it scares me.  I feel the quality is significantly reduced because of the small file size.  I want to use these clips later when making new home movie shows and am concerned that re-rendering will cause big quality losses.  The whole idea of getting the newer HD widescreen camcorder was to have beautiful video files to use (eventually) with BlueRay.  I feel if I go with DV AVI, I might as well have stayed with my old DV camcorder.

I agree memory is cheap now, but I want to download the raw video, cut out the dead footage, render and save.  I just can't find the best format that fits my above needs.

Thanks again for your insite -

• 3. Re: Render settings for JVC HD Widescreen Using PE7
              dice1036 Level 1

Thank you for your response.  The DV AVI files were captured with another editing program, although I have tried the files in a third editing program and Windows media player and they sound fine.  Big mystery.

Concerning the format to render - DV does allow for widescreen but the size max is 720 x 480.  I bought the new camcorder because I wanted to shoot video in the full 1440 x 1080i format.  My use is for home movies, so I shoot small clips of events, download into the computer periodically, cut out the dead spots and splice together segments to save for future editing projects.  I wanted to use a format setting that allows for the max size (1140 x 1080i widescreen) and retain a good quality because I will be re-editing and rendering again.  There are a couple to choose from but I am confused as to my best choice.  Storage space is not a huge problem but I want to keep them reasonable.  WMV is one option but takes forever.  MPEG is another but the files are very small, which makes me think a lot of the quality is taken out, particularly since I will be re-editing the file at a later date.

Just confused on my best option and apprecitate any help and options.  Thanks again

• 4. Re: Render settings for JVC HD Widescreen Using PE7
                Paul_LS Level 4

Regarding your sound issues with DV-AVI... PE7 can have some issues with DV-AVI Type 1 , perhaps the other capture program captured as Type 1 whereas PE7 prefers Type 2. Download DVDate and convert them to Type 2... no quality hit and quick as just touching the audio.

http://paul.glagla.free.fr/dvdate_en.htm

OK, you want to maintain the high definition frame size. Therefore you could export as 1440x1080i MPEG2, Share>Personal Computer>MPEG and then select the 1440x1080i preset. You may want to go into Advanced and adjust the video bitrate to CBR 25Mb/s... this is the HDV MPEG2 standard. File size should be the same as DV-AVI... 13GB per hour, 220MB per minute.

• 5. Re: Render settings for JVC HD Widescreen Using PE7
                  dice1036 Level 1

Paul, Thanks again for your incite.  I did render a sample vid using the settings you suggested and it does seem to maintain the 1440 x 1080i wide screen format, which is a good thing.  One odd thing though, it saved the file with an .m2t extension, not .mpg or .mpeg.  What is the deal with this .m2t extension and do I need to do anything with it.  It is not recognized by Windows Media Player but does work when re-introduced into the PE7 program.  Since I want to store these files for future editing, should I leave them in that format or change them to something else?  By the way, is rendered the file at 227.363 MMB/min. which is fine.

thanks again, Bill

• 6. Re: Render settings for JVC HD Widescreen Using PE7
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

The m2t is HD MPEG-2 muxed (Video & Audio). If it was Video only, you'd likely see m2v. I'm surprised that WMP cannot handle m2t file extensions, but then have never tried it. On my system, Nero ShowTime is affiliated with the m2t file extension.

Can you play them in Media Player Classic, or VLC Player?

Hunt

• 7. Re: Render settings for JVC HD Widescreen Using PE7
                      Paul_LS Level 4

Even though not recognized by Windows Media Player it should play it... when it tells you it is unrecognised but do you want to try to play it anyway just say yes.

• 8. Re: Render settings for JVC HD Widescreen Using PE7
                        dice1036 Level 1

Windows Media Player will play it but with no sound.  You have to start it then stop it then start it again, and it will finally play but no sound.  The file plays fine in the PE7 program.  I am not terribly upset about it not playing in WM, just found it interesting.

Should I leave the file as an .m2t extension?  Or should I convert to some other format?  Again, I want to archive these vid files to use later in new editing projects.

• 9. Re: Render settings for JVC HD Widescreen Using PE7
                          Paul_LS Level 4

Archiving as .m2t is fine, it is the MPEG multiplexed transport stream as used in broadcast.

See here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG_transport_stream