31 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2009 2:20 AM by DikHendriks

Flash Builder beta serial number extension site is now live

Vera Carr Level 2

Flash Builder 4 beta extension serial numbers are available for all licensed Flex Builder 3 customers. This includes all commercial and education serial numbers. To request a beta extension serial number, you will need to enter your Flex Builder 3 serial number. Please go to the extension request site to obtain a serial to extend FB4 beta.

• 1. Re: Flash Builder beta serial number extension site is now live
          andre49

SOS...SOS...SOS... Vera......[?]...[?]

Thanks for your info.

However, I do not presently own a Flex 3 licence.

I am coming from flash CS4....not Flex 3.

What will happen in 30 days.

I would like to be extended next month.

Is it possible?

I just downloaded flexbuilder 4 today and started to familiarize myself with

the workspace and help instructions.

I am very interested to immediately start investing the necessary time and

energy to master  this new software as soon as possible and not be cut off

next month.

Please,...could you clarify[?] this situation.[?][?]

Thanks,

Andre Goulet,

• 2. Re: Flash Builder beta serial number extension site is now live
            Vera Carr Level 2

Hi Andre,

The SN extension is only available for individuals with a FB3 license. Unfortunately, the only thing I can recommend if you wanted to continue to the beta is to purchase FB3 and then upgrade when FB4 is released. Sorry I don't have a better answer for you.

Vera

• 3. Re: Flash Builder beta serial number extension site is now live
              Endoplasmic Level 2

Fantastic news! I had just asked about the extension (as every time I launched it was telling me the days left in the red font instead of green) and when I was directed to labs I felt a bit dumb.

Glad that it was launched today and not a week or 2 ago

• 4. Re: Flash Builder beta serial number extension site is now live
                andre49 Level 1

Hi Vera,

I am extremely disappointed with your answer.

This is a worst case scenario for a newbee to Flex.

My level of excitement, enthusiasm and expectation has dropped from +9 to

Previously, you posted an announcement that the Flex Team  was interested to

hear from us.

Are you new to Flex? The Flex team would like to speak with

you.<http://forums.adobe.com/message/2032661#2032661>

If you’re new to Flex and have played around with the Flash Builder beta,

we’d like to follow up with you about your experience. If you’d be willing

to have a direct discussion with us, please contact me via email:

verac@adobe.com.

It is my opinion that you are completely missing the mark with newbees.

Put yourself in our shoes.

If you were new to Flex from flash or anywhere else, would you like to pay

for an FB3 license that  will be of no use to you. What we are interested in

is to transition as quickly and painlessly as possible and being full

productive from where we are standing now to the new Flash Builder 4

environment.

I feel you are completely missing the mark and really shooting yourself in

the foot and restricting your feedback to FB3 users only with your actual

policy.

Your FB3 SN extension policy simply doesn't make any sense if you are

interested to hear from newbees.

Why do you put restrictions license and add on top of that financial burden

to already economically pressured potential beta testers.

Why don't you simply  lift up all your unnecessary and useless actual

restrictions to your potential beta testers instead.

I've already paid my Master Collection CS4 Suite last fall. I am certainly

not willing to pay an FB3 license now.

With your actual policy, would I have to pay on top of that an additional

FB4 upgrade when the commercial  version will be released????

Please answer honestly to give a clear picture of the reality.

If you keep this policy, my best option would be to become acquainted with

the FB4 IDE during the next 30 days and then wait for the commercial

release.

However, you would certainly not receive any FB3 license money and  would be

missing all feedback.

If I were in your shoes, I would simply throw your restrictive FB3 policy

and web page in the garbage, completely forget about it and invite anybody

from any field purely and simply.Don't worry about money. Your financial

harvest would come  at the next official commercial release of FB4.

It would make life much easier and simpler and productive for everybody.

It would also eliminate any mistrust that you have previously consciously or

inconsciously created.

Everybody would then feel welcomed, and feedback would  flourish.

We would not have to worry about renewal, license, etc problems anymore.

We would be able to purely concentrate and worry on product improvement,

We would feel that our voice is really heard and taken into consideration by

the Flex team.

Newbees would have the opportunity to level off their technological gap

prior to commercial release with other actual FB users.

I hope you will reconsider your overall business policy toward all your beta

testers if you want to maximize feedback from us.

Sincerely,

Andre Goulet,

• 5. Re: Flash Builder beta serial number extension site is now live
                  tinylion_uk Level 2

I suppose there is a case to also allow people who have a registered flash cs4 to get the trail extension.

I think this is something worth asking for.

g

• 6. Re: Flash Builder beta serial number extension site is now live
                    David_F57 Level 5

Vera Carr wrote:

The SN extension is only available for individuals with a FB3 license.

You want people to buy a beta license ?. This has to be a joke becuase if it isn't, its a massive insult to developers who are keen to see FB evolve. If you want to offer pre-release sales of FB4 that would almost be acceptable but let a developer put 100's of hours of time into testing for you then charging a fee ?.

http://www.fujifilmimagine.com/imagine/app.php?userGroupID=4

Do me a favour, login to this site go thru the process(ie. upload some images and play with the application) .

This is what a single developer can do for Adobe. The above application was born from nothing, no prior flash or flex experience, no Actionscript experience no Flash/Flex Developers, just a belief in what FB3 had to offer. Becuase of 1 non-Adobe developer the world got 4 new Flexbuilder developers, more money went into Adobe's coffers instead of M$'s and 1 more internationally successful company crossed over to the Adobe fold. What was that saying 'one small step...'.

Do you seriously thing that FB can survive without fresh blood coming into the fold. Don't bite the hand, open up the beta and start pre-sales but don't discourage or destroy the possiblity of increasing the FB community.

David.

[edit] the prototype for the 'Imagine' (developed by whitechsolutions Australia) product was developed with a beta of Flexbuilder 3 if that free Beta hadn't existed the product would probably never have gone beyond the feasibility study.

• 7. Re: Flash Builder beta serial number extension site is now live
                      TeotiGraphix Level 3

I have to agree on this with David;

Since showing a little ego seems not to matter these days, I have been with Flex since 1.5 and I truly do not understand what Adobe is doing here.

Comming from a seasoned flex component/application developer, this is rediculous to say the least.

As far as I was aware, Adobe seemed to take the 'spirit of the leading edge developer' into account in these betas. Not giving 'new blood' a chance to get there hands dirty for more than 30 days without buying a FB3 licnese shows the direction of "Flex Builder" is out of the Adobe engineers hands and into the Adobe accountants hands.

From what I see, the name change from Flex Builder to Flash Builder is evident in the direction adobe is taking this IDE. The sdk well, that is open source, but the IDE is not and they are aligning it to the CS4 products.

I once was in a room with a bunch of Flex engineers truly excited to get FB2 out in June of 2006, that spirit is gone and we now have Flash Builder CS4, relocated to the Adobe head quaters, on the map to clone ville.

Matt Chotin... what the hell ?!

Mike

• 8. Re: Flash Builder beta serial number extension site is now live
                        tinylion_uk Level 2

But, when do you want the beta to run out? Is it that you just want an extra month or something? Or are you saying the beta should just be free to use end of?

I suppose Adobe see it that the product is perfectly useable as is so can't really just let it out in to the wild forever and a day.

I see a strong point to also allow Flash cs4 registered users extending the beta period as well as FB3 users. But bar that I think a month or two is plenty for free really.

I also don’t see Vera say that she expects people to buy a beta licence anywhere in her message. I don't really see your point to be honest

• 9. Re: Flash Builder beta serial number extension site is now live
                          tinylion_uk Level 2

??? I feel like I must be living in a different world, I really don’t see  these points. Not at all.

• 10. Re: Flash Builder beta serial number extension site is now live
                            TeotiGraphix Level 3

These points?

Please correct me if I am wrong but, the way Adobe has run betas with Flex builder was the beta ran out when a new beta was released. Flex 2 there were 3 betas, 1 alpha.

Obviously these betas need to die when the product is released.

My main point is if this product is scheduled to come out in the last quater of 2009, That makes it in accessable to new developers after 30 days without buying Flex Builder 3 to get a serial number to "extend" Flash Builder 4.

Are we talking the same language here?

Is this to complicated to understand, "Another World" seems like a stretch, but maybe I am in another world.

This 30 day trial is used for Adobes released products.

"But bar that I think a month or two is plenty for free really.",

you are talking a different language than older developers in Flex are used to here, this was not the way it was, I think that is the point. When did Adobe change the way they release betas for Flex Builder now Flash Builder?

Mike

• 11. Re: Flash Builder beta serial number extension site is now live
                              tinylion_uk Level 2

I still think it's reasonable to be honest.

There's no argument at all that not having Fb available need to effect the take up of flex. Not as if you need to use builder to make flex apps. Not at all.

Im not saying that isn't how it has been in past, and i have been using flex since one so i would call myself an 'older' developer. I just don’t really think it matters all that much.

Definitely not enough for the amount of vitriol i hear about the 30 thing.

I thought i had to use my builder 2 serial for builder 3 beta? Is that wrong (not saying it isn't, just thats what i thought happened last time)

My main point is the amount of anger just seems way over the top.

I really did think i had to use my builder 2 serial last time. But then again i am getting old so could be mistaken

• 12. Re: Flash Builder beta serial number extension site is now live
                                David_F57 Level 5

tinylion 1968 wrote:

??? I feel like I must be living in a different world, I really don’t see  these points. Not at all.

<rant>

What don't you understand, that FB3 is at the end of its life cycle, FB3 isn't FB4, FB4 is not a commercially available product,  FB4 is not recommended for production development,  FB4 is already 2 months behind the SDK, FB4 has a lot more testing before going gold, that the strength of a product is based on a solid and expanding user base ?.

FB4 is in beta if Adobe don't want public testing fine !!!. Declare the beta period over for all potential users.(well actually they have just done that).

if they want public testing don't ask for the public to fund that testing through licensing. There are millions of very functional Windows 7 RC copies out there(some may say that W7 RC is more stable than Vista) no fees on it just a 12 month open license, Adobe get a clue.

As far as FB4 is concerned its a long way from being ready, the more testing the better, the more new comers to the product the better(actually newbies make excellent testers becuase they are unpredictable), If the life cycle of the beta is 90 days then the usage should be 90 days if its 6 months the usage should be 6 months, FB3 betas worked that way why the change in FB4?(clue: misplaced and dangerous greed).

If you are testing a product(not creating comercial software) why would you purchase a dead product ?.  Non FB3 developers testing FB4 are being asked to purchase a license, calling it an FB3 license is irrelevant, it is a testing license as soon as you attach it to FB4.

30 days is a trial period not a testing period,  this is not a trial product, so if anyone is confused it seems to be just you and Adobe.

<end rant>

• 13. Re: Flash Builder beta serial number extension site is now live
                                  tinylion_uk Level 2

Also, and this i'm fairly sure of

If you have a particular case that using the beta for longer would be useful, then an email to adobe will most times fix this. I've always found that to be the case. Just email the builder team, tell them your issue and see what they say. In every case like that in my experience they've helped out.

• 14. Re: Flash Builder beta serial number extension site is now live
                                    tinylion_uk Level 2

This is just want i mean. Why so angry?

Just seems well over the top to me

• 15. Re: Flash Builder beta serial number extension site is now live
                                      TeotiGraphix Level 3

Glenn,

There is no anger here; I have better things to do.

I chimmed in on this becasue this isn't the only place I hear 'new' developers complaining about this 30 day trial on a beta. All beit my tone in the first post was abrasive but it's becasue I am hearing the new developers complaining about a beta 30 day trial that do not own FB3.

Maybe Adobe needs a page just to explain all this and their reasoning. Why would developers be complaining if there wasn't buired misunderstandings somewhere?

And please, someone from Adobe tell me I am wrong about that fact you changed the way you release betas... (this is the misunderstanding)

Mike

• 16. Re: Flash Builder beta serial number extension site is now live
                                        David_F57 Level 5

I think you really don't get it.

I can use FB4 without any concern this whole thing is not about me, my concern is that indivuduals make choices in the real world of development, they play with things ocassionally get excited then ask for the boss to splash the cash. Now individuals especially in our industry are also very fickle they don't need much of an excuse to go on a rant (proof- my previous post ).

So a potential client hears about FB4 loads it up and it doesn't work, the response will be 'hey Adobe this beta doesn't work', then Adobe will start with the corporate line 'show us the money'. There will be no further communication just one p*ssed off developer running around telling anyone thats prepared to listen that Adobe are a bunch of crooks. And there goes a few more potential customers for we the Flex followers to ply our trade to.

In Australia flex isn't that big i would like it to be bigger ( I really do want an Audi R8 and Flex development ain't going to pay for it ).  I just need Adobe to join in and get as many people as they can jumping on the FB bandwagon, otherwise my R8 will never escape from the dealership unless I move to a better revenue stream(ok so that bit sounds like its about me).

David

• 17. Re: Flash Builder beta serial number extension site is now live
                                          tinylion_uk Level 2

I may be being a bit thick. Its not the subject that i disagree with I just didn't like the tone. Well, almost. I do think 30 days on a first beta, that won't work correctly with a trunk build of the sdk, has a lot of issues and really isn't a build to use if your new to flex (the point that only having 30 days will lose potential users just doesn't seem right to me) is enough.

I think the more important area of interest is the SDK changes, that's the work that should attract new devs.

I did find some of the posts about this too sarcastic, vitriolic and toned in a way least likely to have the point received well. After all if I found some of it so over the top I felt the need to comment, then i'm sure other would have too. I suppose I just don't like reading post's written that sound like an attack

I have also read elsewhere people complain about the time limit from people new to flex, I always email them off forum and suggest using the beta is not the best way to get an introduction to the language. (i've done this several times, and never had to lose my rag over it)

enough

• 18. Re: Flash Builder beta serial number extension site is now live
                                            David_F57 Level 5

agreed enough, it was enough that 2 posters showed dismay/annoyance at Adobes decision with defined reasons, it was over the top for non constructive responses. Adobe is full of a lot of clever people and I am pretty sure they know that 'tone' is not conveyed well in written correspondence and act appropriately when reading posts, I even have faith enough for them to interprete the reasoning behind the post no matter what the apparent tone.

As far as testing is concerned, the broader the test arena the better new/experienced/playful.(my 30+ years real IT experience tell me this).

Now I don't understand, FB4 is a major shift from FB3,  why would you turn people away from it ?. And do it with such pride. There is currently no other visual learning tool available for gumbo, or have I missed something.

The SDK is a separate isssue of more interest to those already familiar with flex and actionscript.

FB beta is out there and it can't be retracted, people are already using it and more will, why upset them by turning it off over the next couple of weeks? Simple solution open it up, if someone wants to try produce commercial software with it who cares they could do that now or tommorrow or in 10 years time, only hobbyists would continue to use a beta version after the real thing is released and they are of 0 commercial interest to anyone so no harm no foul.

So Adobe open the door and let everyone kick this product till it's unbreakable.

• 19. Re: Flash Builder beta serial number extension site is now live
                                              Endoplasmic Level 2

I would like to offer a couple of pennies into the mix that haven't been mentioned.

1) Adobe is doing an open beta on a pretty fantastic product line (you don't see this for Flash, Dreamweaver, etc)

2) The flipside to this is it was mentioed by a dev that they had no idea when the next beta (if at all) would be out. How will this stop the same bugs coming in over and over, and not to mention the desire to use the product in a broken state? (I've submitted 2 major bugs and they haven't been assigned yet)

So the big question is, will Adobe get enough out of the 30 day beta test to make the product go gold? You'd be smokin' some fantastic dope to think so, not to mention the regression testing that would have to happen.

I think what should happen is that the beta is good for 30-60, people submit bugs, and Adobe has a 30 day (preferably less, but whatev) turn-around time on releasing fixes. That way new bugs can be found and old ones can stop clogging up the bug report list and a fresh 30-60 day beta is released.

AS far as telling people to buy a FB3 serial to continue... Kindda weak as the FB4 was available to everyone (not just FB3 owners). I understand they need to make money and the development of this software isn't free, but let FB4 speak for itself and sell itself (it's like telling someone to buy an older car knowing full well a new one is coming out soon for the same price).

• 20. Re: Flash Builder beta serial number extension site is now live
                                                Mike J. Potter

For Flex Builder 3 beta, we required customers to have a license of Flex Builder 2 to use the product beyond its trial period.  This time is no different – if you’d like to continue using the beta product you need to have a valid serial number for Flex Builder 3.

There are a number of programs that provide free serial numbers for Flex Builder 3 – if you’re an unemployed developer we’ll be offering free Flex Builder serial numbers again in July (target now is mid-July).  If you’re a student you can get Flex Builder 3 for free.  Both are available from http://freeriatools.adobe.com/

Mike

Mike Potter

Adobe Developer Marketing

• 21. Re: Flash Builder beta serial number extension site is now live
                                                  TeotiGraphix Level 3

> For Flex Builder 3 beta, we required customers to have a license of Flex Builder 2 to use the product beyond its trial period

I stand corrected and apoligize for any noise, I was thinking of Flex Builder 2's betas. FB3 slipped past my mind since I was working I guess.

Thanks Mike for setting this straight for me.

Glenn, I guess I didn't need to be as loud as I was.

I guess I like writting code since there are really no opinions in it, just design.

Mike

• 22. Re: Flash Builder beta serial number extension site is now live
                                                    Endoplasmic Level 2

Thanks for chiming in Mike, it's appreciated.

Would you be able to address if/when there will be another build? There are enough quirky things with the app right now that are clouding my judgement on how significant the product is at this point.

I will say one thing though... Thank you HUGE for putting in CSS coding... Aptana is garbage in the CSS department. (there are bugs with the CSS and the editor in general when text is too wide, so I hope you guys can fix that soon)

• 23. Re: Flash Builder beta serial number extension site is now live
                                                      David_F57 Level 5

There are a number of programs that provide free serial numbers for Flex Builder 3 – if you’re an unemployed developer we’ll be offering free Flex Builder serial numbers again in July (target now is mid-July).  If you’re a student you can get Flex Builder 3 for free.  Both are available from http://freeriatools.adobe.com/

How about no longer employed as a flex developer - but wants to be a skillsuptodate developer key.

• 24. Re: Flash Builder beta serial number extension site is now live
                                                        Mike J. Potter Level 1

Sorry, I can't comment on the release schedules or if we're planning other betas.  However, Flex Builder 3 had 3 beta releases and Flash Builder 4 introduces a lot of new features for Flex developers.

Mike

• 25. Re: Flash Builder beta serial number extension site is now live
                                                          Mike J. Potter Level 1

We haven't got a program for your developer type yet.

Mike

P.S. Its nearly impossible to verify whether a developer is unemployed.

• 26. Re: Flash Builder beta serial number extension site is now live
                                                            GaryFunk

At least you can get FB to run. I can't start Flash Builder Beta unless I turn off my Internet connection. It worked fine until I installed the Serial Number.

Now I just get all kinds of errors. No fun for this day.

Gary

• 27. Re: Flash Builder beta serial number extension site is now live
                                                              andre49 Level 1

I also can't start Flash Builder Beta  this morning.

I tried many times ant it kept crashing.

Should I uninstall it and redownload an other copy or do something else ???

If I download another copy what would happen then to my original

registration???

Would a new one be required???

What would happen in 30 days for your renewal serial records?????

I hope you will bring a little bit of light in that situation.

Thanks,

--

Andre Goulet

• 28. Re: Flash Builder beta serial number extension site is now live
                                                                Endoplasmic Level 2

Add me to the club of people that can't start Flash Builder after installing a serial key.

Going to try and repair to see if that helps

• 29. Re: Flash Builder beta serial number extension site is now live
                                                                  DikHendriks

I have requested a serialnumber several times, get the approval, but i don't receive an e-mail with the serial-number...

What's going wrong?

With regards, Dik Hendriks

• 30. Re: Flash Builder beta serial number extension site is now live
                                                                    tinylion_uk Level 2

Hi,

I doubt this is the reason, but thought I'd say anyway - When I did the same, I found my email was hidden in my spam trap

As I said, I'm sure you've looked, but thought i'd say what happened to me just in case

Cheers

G

Ps -most of adobe are on summer break at the moment (head office anyway), so you may not get an  answer till next week.

• 31. Re: Flash Builder beta serial number extension site is now live
                                                                      DikHendriks Level 1

Hi Glenn,

Indeed I checked my spam trap...

-- 

Met vriendelijke groeten, Dik Hendriks

Hendriks grafische vormgeving / webdesign

(038) 332 49 79

***********************************************************************

Dit e-mail-bericht is alleen bestemd voor de geadresseerde(n). Indien

dit bericht niet voor u is bedoeld, wordt u verzocht de afzender

hiervan op de hoogte te stellen door het bericht te retourneren en

de inhoud niet te gebruiken. Aan dit bericht kunnen geen rechten

worden ontleend.

***********************************************************************

Op 30 jun 2009, om 11:14 heeft Glenn Williams het volgende geschreven:

Hi,

>

I doubt this is the reason, but thought I'd say anyway - When I did 

the same, I found my email was hidden in my spam trap

>

As I said, I'm sure you've looked, but thought i'd say what happened 

to me just in case

>

Cheers

G

Ps -most of adobe are on summer break at the moment (head office 

anyway), so you may not get an  answer till next week.

>