9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2009 2:10 AM by matt0x

Low Quality on Dissolve Transition with Photos

matt0x

I put together a video with nothing but still photos from a 10MP Digital Rebel XTi. I mainly used the regular dissolve transition. I notice low quality in the transition only. I have a progressive sequence to avoid flickering. I have tried exporting in several formats but I still see low quality during transitions. It looks "fuzzy." The images were 2000 pixels on the longest side and scaled down from there. I have tried setting the quality during export to 5 instead of 4 and the min bitrate at 3 instead of 1.5 but still no luck. I've tried NTSC progressive high quality, same.

Any ideas/tips on what could cause this? I didn't have much luck googling. Any more information you'd like me to provide? Thanks

• 1. Re: Low Quality on Dissolve Transition with Photos
          Dan Isaacs Level 2
          I have tried setting the quality during export to 5 instead of 4 and the min bitrate at 3 instead of 1.5 but still no luck

Yes, you should set Quality to 5, but what is the average bitrate set to? One pass? Two pass? Also – if these are very detailled and sharp photos it may be hard (even at high bitrates) to get a nice dissolve between them for MPEG2 DVD.

Perhaps it could be helped by animating a blur (blur amount increasing on clip A and/or decreasing on clip B) on the images as they dissolve? Just a thought…

• 2. Re: Low Quality on Dissolve Transition with Photos
            matt0x Level 1

I set it for 2 pass. Average bitrate set to 5. min at 3, max at 7. They are very detailed and sharp. Aside from the blur during the transition, do you see any other possibilities? What can I max out the bitrate to (min/average/max)?

I'd hate to blur the photos when they're so sharp. I think I'll just accept the nature of DVDs and tolerate the fuzzyness.

Thank you

• 3. Re: Low Quality on Dissolve Transition with Photos
              Dan Isaacs Level 2

Well, the exact number you should use depend on the length of your video – and the file size and/or data rates required by other components of the DVD. Try this bitrate calculator to heop you decide the optimal numbers.

The "blur" I was talking about was simply an animated effect to be applied over the course of the transition… so that the photos sort-of fade to/from a blurry image to a sharp one; a kind of "blur-dissolve." Try it. Maybe you won't find it so bad.

• 4. Re: Low Quality on Dissolve Transition with Photos
                matt0x Level 1

Aha, thanks for the bitrate calculator. I'll play around with this (still learning about that). Given the settings I've described, and the fact that this is standard DVD quality, and if I don't blur the images... is it possible that I won't be able to fix the fuzzyness during the transition? I'll give the blur a shot on a couple transitions... but I'm not too sure if I want to apply it to 200+ photos in a 20 minute video. Or maybe I will if I see it does a really good job =) Thanks Dan!

• 5. Re: Low Quality on Dissolve Transition with Photos
                  Dan Isaacs Level 2

It's quite possible that a higher bitrate is all you need. Definitely try increasing that first.

• 6. Re: Low Quality on Dissolve Transition with Photos
                    matt0x Level 1

Trying that now at 8Mbps. Thank you calculator.

Hm, while I'm at it... should I make the video standard or for widescreen? I followed all the safe margins very well. I think even though it's standard it should look good on widescreen... but out of curiosity, is widescreen the new industry standard now? It's been a while since I did some editing. I dabbled in web design/programming and I know widescreens are the new thing for websites... but I'm not sure about video. Would you happen to know? I tried googling but didn't find anything obvious.

Thanks a ton Dan. It'd be awesome if the new bitrate fixed this. Thanks!!!

• 7. Re: Low Quality on Dissolve Transition with Photos
                      matt0x Level 1

The video finished and I gave it a watch. Still no better. These were the settings:

6/24/2009 11:56:47 PM : Queue Started

- Source File: C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\Road Trip 2009 - COMPLETE_5.prproj
                      - Output File: E:\Road Trip 2009 Video\Premiere Exports\Finished video, proof 9\Sequence 04.mpg
                      - Preset Used: Custom
                      - Video: NTSC, 720x480, 29.97 drop frame [fps], Progressive, Quality 5.0
                      - Audio: 48 kHz, 16 bit, Stereo, PCM
                      - Bitrate: CBR, 8.00 [Mbps]
                      - Encoding Time: 00:29:46
                      6/25/2009 12:28:19 AM : File Successfully Encoded

6/25/2009 12:28:19 AM : Queue Stopped

I didn't do min/avg/max at 8Mbps, I did CBR 8Mbps (which I think is the same, if I'm wrong, correct me). I actually didn't see much of a difference and things looked worse (or the same), I thought. Any settings I can do to beef this up? I'm a tad shocked that it looks so poorly. I do have a picky eye because I know quality... but still. Granted, I have only been watching on my 22" LCD. If you think burning to a DVD makes much of a difference, I can give that a shot. Otherwise, I figured it'd at least get better on my LCD monitor.

Thanks Dan

• 8. Re: Low Quality on Dissolve Transition with Photos
                        matt0x Level 1

Note that I have nothing but photos in this video. I'm running out of ideas. Other than 2 pass and CBR 8... I'm not sure what else to try.

Thanks

• 9. Re: Low Quality on Dissolve Transition with Photos
                          matt0x Level 1

I just tried doing variable bitrate at 8Mbps for min/avg/max to see if that was the issue, no go. I definitely see no improvement on quality when the bitrate was 3/5/7 (min bitrate, avg, and max) and CBR 8Mbps. I am watching this on my computer... should I see the difference? Or is it possible that I should only see the difference on the DVD player? I'm trying not to waste DVDs... but I'm willing to if that's what matters. I was expecting to see at least a slight change on my computer (which is probably closest to some fancy LCD HD TV).

Thanks