15 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2009 2:42 PM by almacleod

Vista sp2 update and Encore

almacleod

I installed Vista sp2 on my HP quad win pc and it has caused Encore cs3 to cough up "error 24" when I export a Blu Ray from Premiere cs3 to Encore.

Sp2 has read/write support for Blu Ray drives and that may have crossed a line somewhere for Encore.

Has anybody got any experience with this?

• 1. Re: Vista sp2 update and Encore
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is the Premiere forum, go to http://forums.adobe.com/index.jspa and select Encore

• 2. Re: Vista sp2 update and Encore
            almacleod Level 1

I fixed what ever was causing the glitch in Encore by removing SP2 from Vista. Whether the problem was in the hand off of the project from Premiere to Encore or just in Encore alone I know not.

I do know that answers to questions help...redirects do not. Hopefully this note about Vista SP2 will help others avoid problems.

• 3. Re: Vista sp2 update and Encore
              Jim_Simon Level 8

I do know that answers to questions help...redirects do not.

Unfair.  Regulars in the Encore forum may well have been able to help you resolve the issue while leaving SP2 intact.  That's why it's important to post in the correct forum.  You want the people who really know the product to be the ones helping you out.

• 4. Re: Vista sp2 update and Encore
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Interesting. While the Error 24 message has appeared in the Encore forum, I do not recall anyone having an issue with any recent version of Encore and SP-2. Some were receiving this error well before SP-2. Still, there could be something in your particular setup that was triggered by SP-2.

Sounds like you have it working now, and thanks for reporting,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Vista sp2 update and Encore
                  almacleod Level 1

With tightly integrated apps it's hard to say where one app ends and the other begins.

One of the new features that Vista SP2 brings to the table is the recognition of Blu Ray

drives by windows.  Microsoft backed HD DVD and wasn't receptive to the winner

of that format war,  so the SP2 "support" now offered can possibly be seen as minimal.

With that in mind, it's possible that neither Premiere or Encore is in fact the source of

the problem.  All I asked was if anyone had seen anything like this before.  I thought

it unlikely that I was the only one writing  Blu Ray discs from Premiere to Encore, so

I appealed to folks with the same workflow for help.

• 6. Re: Vista sp2 update and Encore
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I do agree concerning the integrated products. I never understood the "Production Studio" forum, when each application had its own forum.

As for the direct application of Encore and BD, I would strongly recommend also posting to the Encore BD Burning sub-forum. Though En is now only available bundled with PrPro (as of CS3), there are still a bunch of folk over there, who either do not use PrPro, or hang out on this forum. One of the best Audio resources, Neil Wilkes, doesn't show up here, unless someone begs him to stop by.

Though I read a ton of Adobe fora, I just cannot recall of any direct problem with SP-2 and Encore, but might have missed it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Vista sp2 update and Encore
                      almacleod Level 1

SP2 is a new thing...not beta but not openly offered, or pushed might be better.  This is really the essence of the difference between Apple and Microsoft. Apple has tight controls over new software (their own) and the OS (also their own).  Windows folks are like a marching band with all the members using slightly different sheet music. Eventually they get on the same page only to have a new version or update pop up.  It makes me crazy.

• 8. Re: Vista sp2 update and Encore
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

With tightly integrated apps it's hard to say where one app ends and the other begins.

Not so much, especially when you know which app is giving the error.

• 9. Re: Vista sp2 update and Encore
                          almacleod Level 1

That's the rub as the bard would say...the error happened right at the handoff from Premiere to Encore.  It's like a quarter back and his center on a fumble...did the center get the ball cleanly to the qb or did the qb muff the snap? We need slow mo replay with lots of yellow cicles and arrows showing what happened !!

• 10. Re: Vista sp2 update and Encore
                            Phil Griffith Level 2

With tightly integrated apps it's hard to say where one app ends and the other begins

It's easy. Premiere is one program and Encore is another program. By saying your not going to be redirected to another forum is only hurting yourself. You may have solved your program by uninstalling sp2, but now you don't have sp2 and that may hurt you in other areas. I can definitely say that vista runs faster for me than before (IMO). I can jump to Photoshop from premiere also, but I would rather ask my questions there about Photoshop instead of insisting that prem forum. Still, to each his own.

• 11. Re: Vista sp2 update and Encore
                              almacleod Level 1

Phil,  all I can tell you is it has more to do with process than application.  Yes Premiere and Encore are two seperate applications and can be used as stand alones.  They can also be used as linked apps where you begin the process in one and end in the other.  As someone pointed out in an earlier post there are folks that use Encore without ever touching Premiere, so the catagory choice of <Encore> might miss something that a person using the Premiere to Encore work flow could catch.

• 12. Re: Vista sp2 update and Encore
                                Phil Griffith Level 2

Still, you're without sp2 now. But I guess its a process thing.

• 13. Re: Vista sp2 update and Encore
                                  almacleod Level 1

You have a need for the "right" catagory, but no desire to examine the problem as presented. Just let it go then.

• 14. Re: Vista sp2 update and Encore
                                    Phil Griffith Level 2

Is there anything other than the "right" category?? I guess the opposite would be the wrong category.

And lets examine the problem.

Your post says that Encore gave you an error message. (error 24, I believe). It was recommended that you seek answer in Encore forum rather than Premiere. You say  " do know that answers to questions help...redirects do not."\

I'm happy that you resolved your problem. I just question how you solved it.

To me it's like having a problem with your car moving and to solve it, you replace tires with blocks of concrete when it might have been a flat tire. (a crude analogy I admit.) Still, my Examination to the issue would be to look for underlying problem rather than removing improvements to the system. I have sp 2 and have no problem with Encore, and as far as I know, no one else has mentioned it here before.

As I said before to each his own and I will let this issue drop  .

• 15. Re: Vista sp2 update and Encore
                                      almacleod Level 1

To let it drop would have required that you not respond....but....You use Encore?  Do you write to Blu ray from Premiere to Encore? If so,  are you getting an error?  Do you have any suggestion besides "You're looking in the wrong place"?  Concrete blocks?  Yeah,  I think there is at least one involved here.