4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2009 2:16 PM by HirschV

PRE 7 and AVI format?

HirschV Level 1

Some time back I had some problems with importing video to my machine because I had upgraded the machine and the converter didn't work. I recently got a new converter (honestTech VHS to DVD 3.0), which appears to have read a video in fine. However, I would still like to use Premiere Elements to edit the video a bit (add chapters/menu/etc.). The software that comes with the converter can convert to AVI and DV-AVI, but I cannot find documentation anywhere about which version of AVI (or DV-AVI) and which codec to use for PRE. Any help letting me know what code and format would be great ... Thanks in advance! Ken

• 1. Re: PRE 7 and AVI format?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Ideally, you want DV-AVI Type II with 48KHz 16-bit Audio. This will use the MS DV CODEC. The Audio sample-size and bit-rate will possibly have to be set within the program. Now, if you can only get DV-AVI Type I (like the files from Windows Movie Maker), they will work, though there could be some Audio issues. It is not uncommon to experience OOS (Out Of Sync) and other Audio problems with these. I use DigitalMedia Converter to go from DV-AVI Type I to Type II, but there are freeware converters available.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: PRE 7 and AVI format?
            HirschV Level 1

Thanks. I am trying the DV-AVI, Type 2 now. It is having to play the video through in the process (hmm ... oh well ...). I will have to see what I can see, but the option was there, which is a good sign. The software for the convert does seem to have a menu and chapter option, so at the worst, if I cannot import to PRE 7, I may be able to do it there. I got used to working with an older version of PRE (3?) and liked what I could do there, which is why I bought the newer version earlier in the year. I'm rambling now, so I'll just shut up and say thanks, again. I'll post back if it didn't work (and probably if it did).

• 3. Re: PRE 7 and AVI format?
              HirschV Level 1

Just a quick follow-up -- this seemed to have worked. I can bring the video into PRE 7, and edit it, so I am set to go, at least for now.

Thanks for the quick turnaround this morning!

Ken

• 4. Re: PRE 7 and AVI format?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Ken,

Glad that it's working and thanks for reporting back.

Hunt