10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2009 9:09 AM by Larry G. Schneider

how to save file?

screter

I'm new to Illustrator and have a question.  I created a file with white graphics that will ultimately be printed on a blue bag.  How do I save a PDF or EPS without a background so the printer can use the file?  As I said, I'm new to Illustrator and never had any "formal" training in the program.  thanks!

Sarah 

• 1. Re: how to save file?
          Lutz Pietschker Level 1

Look up the "Transparency Grid" options in the Document settings, page 32 in the manual. *Everything* in Illustrator is transparent until you add a fill, including the artboards. If you want to see what is transparent turn on the transparency grid.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: how to save file?
            screter Level 1

Thanks. I reset the setting to transparency but the PDF is still showing a white background.  (You can only see the yellow graphics.)  Am I overthinking this?

• 3. Re: how to save file?
              Steve Fairbairn Level 5

You need to make a spot white colour for printing an actual white ink.

Select your white stuff and have the Color and Swatches palettes open.

Drag the colour from the Color palette into the Swatches palette.

Double-click on the swatch to call up the Swatch Options dialogue.

In Swatch Name write Spot White or some other appropriate name.

In Color Type select Spot Color.

The CMYK mixture doesn't necessarily need to be white - you can give it a slight tone of one of the CMYK colours if you like; it will be easier to see on screen if you do that.

Now check your artwork to see that everything that needs to print white is in the spot colour.

When everything is as you want it save a copy of your file as PDF.

Open the pdf in Acrobat and look at Advanced>Print Production>Output Preview. Select a CMYK output preview and turn off everything except Spot plates and you will see what you've done. If it looks o.k. you've done everything right.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: how to save file?
                screter Level 1

Thanks.  My issue is not so much spot colors versus CMYK.  Is there anyway to save a PDF with a transparent background?  I saved it as an EPS and opened in it Photoshop - perfect.  I think I am over-thinking it.  I'll try your suggestion again and keep my fingers crossed.  Thanks!

• 5. Re: how to save file?
                  Steve Fairbairn Level 5

A look at the separations in Acrobat will put your mind at rest.

View spot plates one at a time like I told you and you don't have to worry

And like I said it's a good idea to give spot white a slight colour so that you can see it.

• 6. Re: how to save file?
                    Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

In other words the background is transparent.

• 7. Re: how to save file?
                      Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Sarah,

You can also File>Document Setup>Transparency>Simulate paper and choose the background colour in question, to see the final appearance directly in Illy.

• 8. Re: how to save file?
                        screter Level 1

Thank you so much.  I used your direction and was able to do exactly what I wanted.  I knew there had to be a setting or something simple I was missing.  I really appreciate all of the help.

Sarah

• 9. Re: how to save file?
                          Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

For my part you are welcome, Sarah.

And welcome aboard.

• 10. Re: how to save file?
                            Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Another way is to make a background layer with a rectangle the color you want, put it at the bottom of the layer stack, double-click and make the layer a template. This is automatically a nonprinting layer but allow you to see everything you have done.