11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2009 11:16 AM by kglad

Flash Landing Page Challenge

LRK 2 Level 2

I meet with a client tomorrow to discuss the following…

I am getting ready to update a past client's website using newer web standards. This particular website has a Flash Intro on the index.html page. I have a feeling this has greatly hindered search engine activity. What would be the best way to handle keeping a Flash intro without it being logged as a main page? Or should I recommend that the client eliminate the Flash landing page?

Your assistance would be much appreciated.

Linda

http://palmbeachcreative.com/temp.html

• 1. Re: Flash Landing Page Challenge
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

use an index page that has text content (to be used by search engines) and embeds the flash.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Flash Landing Page Challenge
            LRK 2 Level 2

Thank you for responding. I was hoping there was a way to create a landing page that would not be cataloged as the Home Page. Is there a way to title a landing page so that it comes up first but then the Main Home Page will be cataloged by search engines. The link I provided in my original post redirects to my client's Flash Landing Page. I may try to talk the client into dropping this page when I start working on it again, but I know they like the Flash Intro. It's the original from when I first designed this website.

• 3. Re: Flash Landing Page Challenge

the site's main page will be its index.html page.  all other html pages that are linked to that index page will be spidered by most search engines.

• 4. Re: Flash Landing Page Challenge
                LRK 2 Level 2

kglad wrote:

the site's main page will be its index.html page.  all other html pages that are linked to that index page will be spidered by most search engines.

Okay. That's what I thought. Since the landing page is the index.html page, I think it would be in the client's best interest to persuade them to drop the Flash Splash Page altogether, and use a Flash Banner instead.

Thanks for your help!

Linda

• 5. Re: Flash Landing Page Challenge

you're welcome.

• 6. Re: Flash Landing Page Challenge
                    LRK 2 Level 2

I met with my client yesterday. They love the Flash Splash Page and would like to keep it if possible.

Just curious... If I were to name the Flash page "default.html" and the home page "index.html", would that help to set aside the Home Page as the main page rather than the Flash Splash Page?

• 7. Re: Flash Landing Page Challenge

whatever is named index.html will be the first page spidered for any url and links are followed from it.  it also will be the page displayed in browsers when that url is visited.  ie, www.xxx.com will load www.xxx.com/index.html

• 8. Re: Flash Landing Page Challenge
                        LRK 2 Level 2

Is there any reason why I cannot setup the hosting control panel to point the domain name to a page that reads default.html at www.website.com for the Flash Splash screen? Then the index.html page will contain the actual Home Page for the purpose of being cataloged by Search Engines?

• 9. Re: Flash Landing Page Challenge

that depends on your control panel.  does it allow redirects?

in addition, search engines will follow the redirect so i don't think that's going to accomplish much.

trying to fool search engines is risky and even if it works you can be sure it won't work forever.

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Flash Landing Page Challenge
                            LRK 2 Level 2

kglad wrote:

that depends on your control panel.  does it allow redirects?

in addition, search engines will follow the redirect so i don't think that's going to accomplish much.

trying to fool search engines is risky and even if it works you can be sure it won't work forever.

Thanks for the added info. This is helpful. I might as well keep things as they are and advise the client accordingly. I would prefer to see them allow me to build a new flash banner and eliminate the Splash page altogether. Once I finish rebuilding the site with newer standards, I might give the client some incentive by offering a discount. It is really in my best interest that my client sites are up to snuff with this stuff.

• 11. Re: Flash Landing Page Challenge

you're welcome.