5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2009 2:06 PM by the_wine_snob

Audio sync issue

BG@BizVid

We are cutting to music.  The cuts are in perfect sync when played on the timeline.  When exported to an .avi or .mov file, the audio slips out of sync by 5 or 6 frames......audio leads video.  To correct, we slip the timeline audio track by that many frames then re-export.  Works fine using that method but it is not right.  Thoughts?

• 1. Re: Audio sync issue
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What are your edit source codecs?

This is very common for some codecs that are not really designed to be edited

• 2. Re: Audio sync issue
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Various flavors of MPEG are notorious for this exact behavior. Similar can happen when going to DVD with Encore. Everything is in sync in PrPro, but out in the DVD. It can also affect the sync in a spotty fashion - some Clips will be in perfect sync, and some will not. Even "fudging" the sync to what one would assume to the correct amount of OOS in PrPro will still yield problems on the DVD.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Audio sync issue
              BG@BizVid Level 1

Not sure what you mean, John.  Is it the way I set up the project.  For this project I compressed to mpeg1.  I also tried quicktime but it was out of sync as well.  What does one do to prevent this from happening?  Heaven forbid I should get into a thrity minute project with multiple audio sources only to find it out of sync down the road.  Wow.

• 4. Re: Audio sync issue
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Not your output... what are you using for an edit input?

Any kind of compressed file for an edit source is very likely going to cause problems

So... what is the codec of what you are EDITING, not what you output?

• 5. Re: Audio sync issue
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

If the source footage is not Captured in PrPro, and you are at all uncertain of the exact CODEC used, G-Spot will give you all details on them.

As John points out, it is likely a problem with the source files themselves.

Good luck,

Hunt