5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2009 7:19 PM by westendweb

How can I enlarge the font in Flash Help files?

westendweb

I'm using Flash 8. The font in the Help files is very very small, nearly unreadable. There is no option to enlarge the font, and Ctrl+ does nothing. Help!

• 1. Re: How can I enlarge the font in Flash Help files?
          jendehaan Level 4

Hi,

You can modify the CSS to increase the text size in the Help panel. Here is a technote that includes directions on how to do this:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/189/tn_18954.html

Hope this helps,

Jen.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How can I enlarge the font in Flash Help files?
            westendweb Level 1

Oh, Jen, I was sure the moment I saw your suggestion that my troubles were over.

But Alas.

I found the css files for the Help system, modified the body styles from .7em to .9em, and prepared to sing Hallelujiah. But...wha?...nothing changed. So I thought, okay, it's reading the print styles, so I changed that file too. No luck. "Does it think this PC is a Mac?" I wondered, so I changed the mac css files too. Ah, the plain "help.css". Nope. Not even changing that one worked. I closed Flash 8 and reopened it. Still tiny - or at least the actual help files are still tiny. The table of contents is quite readable now - at about .9em, I'd say...

I wonder if those files are pdf or something, and there's someplace I can set the percentage that it displays.

But thank you so much!  I had never looked at those files before, I'm embarrassed to say. They're rather interesting!

M
            E

• 3. Re: How can I enlarge the font in Flash Help files?
              westendweb Level 1

P.S. Thought I should mention that all the other font-sizes are set at percentages - all at 100% or higher.

M
              E

• 4. Re: How can I enlarge the font in Flash Help files?
                jendehaan Level 4

Are you on Vista?  It could be that you need to find a different directory than the ones listed on that technote. For example, my directory on Vista would be: C:\ProgramData\Macromedia\Flash 8\en\Configuration\HelpPanel\_sharedassets.

To find the correct directory, go to a help page, right-click and look at the Address listed for that page. Go up a couple levels to the HelpPanel directory and find that _sharedAssets folder and find the help_pc.css file, make a backup, shut down Flash, and try modifying that one instead.

Hope that works,

Jen.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: How can I enlarge the font in Flash Help files?
                  westendweb Level 1

This did help!  I'm not on Vista, but on XP Pro, and there were files exactly in the place as mentioned in the article you sent me to, in the Flash Program directory, but they weren't the right css files for the content files.

However, your trick of simply finding the URL of the Help page and following it, led me to pages in the Documents and Settings directory that did work. Even there, it was a bit of a puzzle. The only style which directly controlled font-size was a body style, which had been set to .7em (Verdana). Even setting it to .9em, which is usually a bit large for my taste, left the text still too small, and there were no other styles in the css page which would have overridden it. So I'm surmising that the help files are in some sort of frame where the font is set to less than 1em, so that through inheritance, the effect is mulitplied. I had to increase the font-size of the content files to  1.1em to bring them back up to a readable size. They're still a bit on the small side for some folks, but I like them a bit small so there are more pixels per information inch (i.e, the letters don't get all spindly and filled with white space).

Hmmm... wondering if those files in the Program directory are the ones that control the Frame.... Hmmmm...

I hope they give you lots of points for helpfulness!!

M
                  E