11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2009 2:52 PM by TM0N3Y

Illustrator CS4 won't open

TM0N3Y

Alright so my Illustrator has been running fine since I got it, but yesterday when i tried to open up a file it crashed and gave me the "unexpectedly quit" message. I can open it up normally, but when I try to make a new file or open an existing it won't work and just crashes for some reason.

I'm using a macbook with a 2 GHz Intel core processor. Any suggestions/experiences with this?

• 1. Re: Illustrator CS4 won't open
          Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Did you try to Trash the settings folder the Adobe Illustrator CS4 Settings folder  in your User's Preferences

• 2. Re: Illustrator CS4 won't open
            TM0N3Y Level 1

Yep, when i do that it crashes right when it opens and gives me the errors

• 3. Re: Illustrator CS4 won't open
              D. Fraser-1eqWmH Level 2

This might seem to be a silly question but have you restarted your machine lately? I ask this because it has helped me in the past with certain crashes. Do you have any 3rd party plug-ins? Have you tried to resolve any font conflicts/caching issues? Have you tried to lauch Illustrator in a new user account? All of these questions will help narrow down the 'search for the reason of a crash' area.

D.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Illustrator CS4 won't open
                TM0N3Y Level 1

I have restarted it pretty recently. Just 3rd party actions no plugins though. font conflicts? i downloaded almost 15 fonts that day actually,  could that have an affect on it? no i havrnt with a new users acount either.

• 5. Re: Illustrator CS4 won't open
                  Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

TM0N3Y wrote:

i downloaded almost 15 fonts that day actually,  could that have an affect on it?

More than likely that is your problem as fonts are loaded at startup. So a corrupt font is going to abort the launch.

Disable those fonts remove them from any directory that might be involved with loading fonts. The go to Users/Username/Library/Preferences/Adobe Illustrator CS # Settings folder and trash that folder first quitting Illustrator. Now everything will be fine now.

if you wish you can trouble shoot those fonts and if there are some that cause this problem you will know which ones to avoid and of course all of the might be and you can avoid the site you downloaded them from for good.

And mention it here I want to be able to ask other users who run into this problem if they happened to have visited this place and downloaded fonts.

I have a feeling a lot of people have and that is why we are getting this…Fonts? What would fonts have to do with it?

• 6. Re: Illustrator CS4 won't open
                    D. Fraser-1eqWmH Level 2

I concur with Wade. Your problem is more than likely a font issue. And yes, fonts can cause many different problems. I would definitely remove them and see if that solves your problem. If it solves it, you can add the fonts back in until the crash occurs. That way you know what actually caused the crash.

If this doesn't fix the problem, I would create a brand new user and see if you can launch Illustrator in the new user account. If it works, we know you have a problem with your main user account and it isn't at the system or application level.

Hopefully it is the fonts that are causing the problem.

D.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Illustrator CS4 won't open
                      TM0N3Y Level 1

Yep that was it! Exactly, I wouldn't have even thought of that if you hadn't mentioned it. The font site I use is pretty trusted so I may have lost my internet connection somewhere during the download and I thought it finished instead of being corrupted. Ill troubleshoot soon. I got them from various places, font blogs that redirect to the creators site. Mostly to deviantart though, i doubt they've got any major problems.

Thanks again

• 8. Re: Illustrator CS4 won't open
                        Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Please report back when you trouble shoo if it was a poor download we will include this possibility in our future comments.

If it is a particular font that is good to know as well.

• 9. Re: Illustrator CS4 won't open
                          TM0N3Y Level 1

So it was a particular font and not an error downloading, It's called "Zebra" and it can be found here: http://somewhere-else.info/

• 10. Re: Illustrator CS4 won't open
                            Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

i am sorry I did not ask the question if you had the font zebra it has 

shown up twice before.

• 11. Re: Illustrator CS4 won't open
                              TM0N3Y Level 1

no worries, glad i got it figured out. yeah i just googled "zebra illustrator" and it came up with a couple other things.

sucks, i really liked it too haha