4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2009 2:33 PM by the_wine_snob

Experience with refurbished equipment?

N9JCR Level 2

I found a Canon HV30 on sale, at least in part because it's factory refurbished.  Does anyone have any experience with this type of arrangement?  Just wondering what I might expect.

http://dealnews.com/lw/artclick.html?2,304572,978544

Thanks!

Bob

• 1. Re: Experience with refurbished equipment?
          Paul_LS Level 4

I guess one of the most important things is what is the warranty like? Same as a new camera I should imagine.

• 2. Re: Experience with refurbished equipment?
            Steve Grisetti-JFIrXo Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Refurbished electronics are always a great deal -- particularly computers and camcorders.

Although, as Paul says, it's wise to have a decent warranty too (at least 90 days parts and labor). If something fails in a refurb, it's likely to do so within the first month or so, so make sure you're covered.

• 3. Re: Experience with refurbished equipment?
              Wucky Level 1

A few years ago I purchased a refurb Canon Optura 50  (  a predecessor camera to the one you're looking at).  It worked fine (and still works today) and I never needed to draw upon the warranty it came witrh (aftermarket).    I think a warrantly is important given the moving parts in camercorders.

good luck  (the HV 30 is nice   ...  I recent purchased one)

• 4. Re: Experience with refurbished equipment?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

To date, I have never had any problems with factory refurbs. Don't buy that many, as I'm usually purchasing when items are a bit too new for the refurb bin, but still, no issues.

I have a refurb Canon, though it did not start out that way. After about 4 years, the sensors died. Canon was doing a re-call, so they covered the replacement, though out of warranty. It's worked fine for the last 3 years. While not purchased as a refurb, it became one, and all has gone very well.

Good luck,

Hunt