16 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2009 5:18 AM by pebalsamo

Chapter markers from PPro to Encore: what?

Colin Brougham Level 6

Riddle me this: is the ONLY way to get Encore chapter markers from a PPro timeline into Encore through Dynamic Link? I encoded an M2V/AC3 from PPro through AME, and the chapter markers I had set in the timeline do not appear when the M2V is imported into Encore. I'm positive that this worked in CS3. It also appears that the trick of exporting a expanded-still AVI with chapter markers is defunct, too.

Please, someone, tell me that I'm missing something obvious... and that Adobe didn't completely hose this workflow. I need some good news today

• 1. Re: Chapter markers from PPro to Encore: what?
          Colin Brougham Level 6

So, I opened up the XMP file generated by the AME export, and the chapter markers ARE there. However, these are not being read into Encore upon import. Is this another "feature", or is this a bug?

• 2. Re: Chapter markers from PPro to Encore: what?
            Eddie Lotter Level 4

Colin, I believe your question is answered in Sharing markers with After Effects, Encore, and Flash in the Premiere pro Help.

Cheers
            Eddie

• 3. Re: Chapter markers from PPro to Encore: what?
              Colin Brougham Level 6

According to the help file:

Encore chapter markers added to a sequence in Adobe Premiere Pro will appear as chapter markers in Encore when the host clip is exported from Adobe Premiere Pro using the File > Adobe Dynamic Link > Send To Encore command.

So, if I'm reading this correctly, this is the ONLY way to move chapter markers from PPro into Encore. That's absurd. I get that Adobe has limited marker export in general--that's where your plug-in fortunately fits the bill (though not for CS4). However, I should be able to export through AME to a DVD-compliant format--because I prefer to control the encoding settings rather than having Encore automatically decide them for me--and have the chapter markers follow along into Encore. I can see no good reason for this not working, especially since the markers are clearly present in the sidecar XMP file. Maybe I'm foggy on my recollection of CS3, but I seem to recall this working just fine there.

Boo to that.

• 4. Re: Chapter markers from PPro to Encore: what?
                pebalsamo Level 2

I am using CS4.1 and just this morning I exported a DVD Comploient MPEG2 file with chapter markers from PPro and then used the Import as Timeline command in Encore and all my chapter markers showed up just like there were supposed to...

Now a few weeks ago when I did this for the first time after upgrading to 4.1 for what ever reason my chapter markers did not come across.  I have done a few projects since then and all my markers have made it since that first time....  Wierd I know but that is what happened...

Phil

• 5. Re: Chapter markers from PPro to Encore: what?
                  Andy Urtu Level 1

Do you happen to have Premiere CS3 Installed also?  I was having the same problem you were.

I removed CS3, then I made sure that *PPROJ files were associated with opening CS4, not CS3. Volia, I can now simply export a MPG2 file with the markers in it and Encore see's them fine now.

• 6. Re: Chapter markers from PPro to Encore: what?
                    Colin Brougham Level 6

No, CS3 isn't installed--just the CS4 suite. I've tried every which way of importing the files into Encore (as assets and as a timeline) and the chapters just don't show up. They do when I DL the sequence from PPro, but since the file is already encoded (and it took over 6 hours for an hour-and-a-half preview MPEG), I don't want to do that again. And yes, they are indeed Encore chapter markers, not regular sequence markers.

Incidentally, do your chapter markers HAVE to be named in PPro in order to get them to export? Because this is one thing I did not do... this is just a preview of a dance performance, and I simply want fast navigation to the beginning of each individual dance. Later on, I'll be authoring this more completely, with named chapters and so on.

• 7. Re: Chapter markers from PPro to Encore: what?
                      Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I am on 4.1 and my markers do not show up in dvd-mpeg or dv-avi.

• 8. Re: Chapter markers from PPro to Encore: what?
                        Dan Isaacs Level 2

I know this does not help you, Colin, but I must wonder out loud here: Why Premiere and Encore do not have simple Export Markers / Import Markers functions is beyond me.

• 9. Re: Chapter markers from PPro to Encore: what?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Colin,

In earlier versions one DID have to name the Markers. Please give that a try and report back.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Chapter markers from PPro to Encore: what?
                            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I gave them a name and filled in the comments.

Thats what i used to do in Pro 2.

• 11. Re: Chapter markers from PPro to Encore: what?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

And they still did not Export/Import?

Bummer,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Chapter markers from PPro to Encore: what?
                                Colin Brougham Level 6

OK, crisis averted--thanks Bill. You do indeed need to name the markers in order to get them to appear in Encore, at least if you plan to export an M2V and not use Dynamic Link. This makes sense, I suppose, but it would be convenient if PPro threw some kind of null character in that field--the names don't need to be unique in order to get them to move across.

Incidentally, I discovered that you can edit the XMP file in order to make the chapters show up in Encore. The XMP is just a specific XML file, so any XML or even a text editor will do. Under the <xmpDM:markers> section, look for the <xmpDM:duration="#"> and <xmpDM:type="Chapter"> items. Between those two needs to me an item called <xmpDM:name="X">. Again, the name doesn't have to be unique; the <xmpDM:startTime> entry does that. Create it once, and copy and paste, then save. The chapters should appear when you import the M2V into Encore.

Chalk this one up to mostly operator-error, with a high degree of silliness, courtesy of Adobe.

• 13. Re: Chapter markers from PPro to Encore: what?
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                                  OK, crisis averted--thanks Bill.

Colin, those are good words to hear, indeed.

First time that I hit against this, I probably re-read the manual and Help files a dozen times, and the need to do the name, etc., just did not sink in. Somewhere, maybe here, I read a post and the need was emphasized. Suddenly, it hit me.

Glad you got it going. I do like the null character idea too. Of course, then one could end up with some oddly named Chapters, probably using some extended characters, or similar.

Hunt

• 14. Re: Chapter markers from PPro to Encore: what?
                                    Colin Brougham Level 6
                                    First time that I hit against this, I probably re-read the manual and Help files a dozen times, and the need to do the name, etc., just did not sink in. Somewhere, maybe here, I read a post and the need was emphasized. Suddenly, it hit me.

I think that's what happened for me too. The help file isn't incredibly explicit or convincing in the requirement to name the chapter markers. It is, indeed, mentioned, but it's more like a casual reference, like, "Oh, hey--you can name these, if you want." Semantics, I suppose. However, I think the issue is compounded by the fact that the chapter-marking procedure in Premiere is not consistent. If you use the Marker > Set Encore Chapter Marker menu command or the keyboard shortcut (assuming you've assigned one, as I have), then the marker dialog pops up and shoves the option/requirement for naming the marker in your face. However, if you use the button in the timeline panel to add a chapter marker, the marker is added, but no dialog box appears. It just seems like a "whoops" to have missed this connection, as far as the programmers are concerned.

I do like the null character idea too. Of course, then one could end up with some oddly named Chapters, probably using some extended characters, or similar.

Even simpler, and perhaps more logical, would be to do away with the chapter naming requirement. For preview-type DVDs such as this one, it's silly to have to name chapters when they'll never be seen in a menu, and it's just faster and more convenient to blow through the timeline quickly and add the necessary markers at clear delineations without any extra steps. Oh well--at least I know for next time.

• 15. Re: Chapter markers from PPro to Encore: what?
                                      digabyte Level 1

As with most things Adobe... results seem to be pretty random.

Yesterday I was able to export from Premiere Pro CS4.1 to Encore CS4 via Adobe Media with the DVD MPEG-2 setting and all my markers appeared in Encore.  However, today, exact same markers, exact same export method, and NONE of the markers show up in Encore.

Frustrating?  Yes.

Typical?  Yes.

I do not have CS3 installed on this machine, and all of my markers are named (there has been no change made to the markers, in fact, from when they used to export).

• 16. Re: Chapter markers from PPro to Encore: what?
                                        pebalsamo Level 2

Did you name your markers???

If not they will not go, which is quite frustrating.  I have made that mistake a few times myself....

Phil