4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2009 12:40 PM by the_wine_snob

Dartfish

jo58us

Can anyone compare Adobe Premiere Elements as a video editing tool with the software "Dartfish" that is used for sport game analysis?

• 1. Re: Dartfish
          Steve Grisetti-JFIrXo Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's always tough to compare one product to another. Especially when you're comparing a consumer app to a professional one.

Here's the link to Dartfish, if anyone wants to check it out:

http://www.dartfish.com/en/index.htm

The issue with any software, Jo, is what are you trying to accomplish? What type of video will you be working with, how elaborately do you want to edit and what type of video product do you want to output?

There's rarely a one-size-fits-all solution for everyone. The goal is to have the best tool for the job.

• 2. Re: Dartfish
            jo58us Level 1

Hi Steve,

I`m trying to find a cheaper solution.  Dartfish would cost $ 1,700 !  I would like to use the program to analyse soccer games together with my players using a recording with one camera.  It would require tagging of scenes, pottung them in groups and being able to play back and forth these scenes with slow motion if necessary.  An actual video product is not absolutely necessery as we would do it together sitting in front of a computer.

What are your thoughts??

Joe

• 3. Re: Dartfish
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I would think that you could do much of this in PE. If you then Export/Share as a media file, could be any format really for the computer, and then use a player that allows for slowmo, freeze-frame (Pause usually works fine) and forward/backward play you should be able to display it.

I'm not up on the controls available in the various players, but do not think that most that I have, like WMP, VLC, QT-Pro and MediaPlayer Classic have what would be needed. Others might.

One could also use the Program Monitor in PE, and just expand it to nearly full screen and use its shuttle, and other controls. Do not recall all that one can do in PE, but in PrPro, you can shuttle at any speed you want, by just dragging the shuttle bar. You can jog backwards and forward, as is required, and also go both directions, one frame at a time. Others can tell you what limitations PE might have, and I'll go look right now, to see if I can make it do what I think you want. For this, you could either edit, Export, then Import into a new Project, or edit and play right from the Project. Either would allow you to Burn to DVD, or Export for archiving, etc.

When I look at PE closely, I'll give you some more comments.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Dartfish
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Just spent some time with the Program Monitor in PE. I think that it'll do everything that you want.

It has a jog/shuttle, but it's not quite as sensitive as the one in Pro. Still, with it, you can control the playback well. When you expand the the Program Monitor to nearly full screen, I'd leave the top of the Timeline, showing the CTI (Current Time Indicator) visible, as you can jog/shuttle with it too. The horizontal magnification of the Timeline will influence the speed that you can get out of it. Do not know of any keyboard shortcuts to alter the playback speed to, say 2x, 3x 4x and 1/2x 1/4x etc., but they might exist.

Thinking about your needs, I tried to put myself into your player's position. I feel that I could learn a lot about my golf swing, or my top-spin forehand, by using PE to do just what you want to do.

PE will also let you do multi-cam, should you add another in the future. It does not have the full multi-cam, that Pro does, but you could still do PiP, or split-screen to show two angles, and could get pretty good visual sync for your two cams. Might not be perfect, but would be close. The only limitation would be the ease of removing one camera from the display, should you want to do so. In Pro, you could quickly turn off visibility of one, or the other of your Video Tracks, but PE doesn't have the little "eyeballs" for Track visibility.

Let us know how you decide to go with this.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful