14 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2010 2:17 PM by Navarro Parker

CS4 not exporting PSD layers.

Navarro Parker Level 3

So what's the secret to exporting layers to Photoshop?

My Illustrator document has layers

Picture 3.png

My settings seem correct... (I get the same results with Maximum Editability on or off)

Picture 4.png

But it comes over as one layer...??? 

Picture 2.png

• 1. Re: CS4 not exporting PSD layers.
          Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If there are any transparency effects then from there down the layers are flattened. It look as though you have something on the top layer with a transparency effect (Blend Mode, Drop Shadow, Opacity) which is causing the flattening. You may need to export each layer and reassemble in PS.

• 2. Re: CS4 not exporting PSD layers.
            Navarro Parker Level 3

Sorry, no transparency effects.  No raster effects. All blend modes are normal.  Any other ideas?

(And when I export each layer seperately, Illustrator doesn't keep each layer the same size at the artboard. It crops to the layer boundaries. So reassembling in PS is kind of a pain.  And also, some projects have dozens of layers, so this is only feasable for small projects)

• 3. Re: CS4 not exporting PSD layers.
              [scott] Level 6

There must be some sort of appearance attributes that are more complex than basic fills and strokes. Even moving a stroke below a fill can result in flattening upon export.

• 4. Re: CS4 not exporting PSD layers.
                Navarro Parker Level 3

It would cause flattening of ALL layers... even those without appearance attributes?

I tried exporting all layers individually by hand using crop marks.  But Illustrator Rasterizes the new Crop Mark plug-in (!) No, I want it to *Crop* the image.

• 5. Re: CS4 not exporting PSD layers.
                  Steve Fairbairn Level 5

It's quite simple once you get the hang of it but it won't happen automatically and it's not really layer dependent.

You can copy any elements fron Illy this way and get them to register in Photoshop

What you do is this:

Start off by drawing 2 little coloured register rectangles at opposite corners of the area you want to copy.

Now select everything on the first layer that you want to copy AND the little corner rectangles.

Copy.

Paste into Photoshop, making sure that the paste is in 100% scale.

Select the second layer AND the little corner rectangles, copy and paste into Photoshop.

And so on until you've finished.

It's not a good idea to have Illy effects running - they won't copy properly. Apply them in Photoshop instead.

I've been using this register-box method for as long as I can remember and it never fails.

• 6. Re: CS4 not exporting PSD layers.
                    [scott] Level 6

Navarro Parker wrote:

It would cause flattening of ALL layers... even those without appearance attributes?

Yes. Specifically the layer containing Appearance setting and anything below it. Based on your screen shots, i'd guess the "On" layer has attributes applied to it.

• 7. Re: CS4 not exporting PSD layers.
                      theoriginalB Level 1

I'm a little confused by this as in the past (using CS3) i've been able to export with transparency effects selected.

is this an issue with CS4?

i'm having this same problem trying to export a web design concept into a layered editable PSD

and is there a workaround that doesnt involve cutting and pasting each layer seperately accross into illustrator, as it is pretty annoying and a step backward if you ask me, and also makes it pretty hard to retain the editable factor.

cheers

B

• 8. Re: CS4 not exporting PSD layers.
                        Navarro Parker Level 3

I'd like to get to the bottom of this (without resorting to reassembly in Photoshop). It's a function that's just supposed to work, right?

• 9. Re: CS4 not exporting PSD layers.
                          grovesk Level 1

Hi - You'll need to find the piece of art that is causing the problem. I ran into this today (CS3, but this should work for you). After reading here, I decided there must be a piece of art in my AI file that was throwing this off. I went through a quick process of elimination...I would delete 1 piece of art from a layer, export each time until I got the correct layered file. This may sound tedious, but it'll be alot less painful than rebuiling in Photoshop. (BTW, drop shadows did not effect my PSD at all...they exported fine).

• 10. Re: CS4 not exporting PSD layers.
                            Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

As the previous posted suggested there maybe a piece of art tht needs the transparency flatten or it needs to be expanded. If you find that art this might help.

It might also be a funky font that might have to outlined.

• 11. Re: CS4 not exporting PSD layers.
                              Navarro Parker Level 3

Guys, there's nothing complex about this file. There aren't any funky fonts, hidden layers or embedded images or clipping paths or anything weird! It's just three simple layers. I guess that's why I'm so confused and irritated.  I apologize for my frustration. I've been using Illustrator since '88 and I just get super annoyed when people repond to forum problems like I just started using it last week.   I'll post the file and you can look at it.

• 12. Re: CS4 not exporting PSD layers.
                                Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

I've been using Illustrator since '88 and I just get super annoyed when people repond to forum problems like I just started using it last week.   I'll post the file and you can look at it.

There are Illustrator team members that have been with Illustrator as long as you have been using it and they sometimes contribute ad they sometimes overlook things that are very basic, all of do so the questions are necessary in case someone had a moment  where the wheels got clogged.

Everyone here is trying to help. The amount of experience someone has is meaningless if they help one solve the problem.

You might want to restack the layers in AI just for the purpose of exporting and whether that works or not would be easy enough to find out.

• 13. Re: CS4 not exporting PSD layers.
                                  DrewParagon Level 1

Hey Navarro,

I know this is late and I figure you've probably sorted this out already but for what it's worth I'm having the same issue and have narrowed it down to the layer issues the others have mentioned. I moved the stacking order around until I found the layer causing the problem... unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason as to why that particular layer is giving problems... all I know is that it is.

Hope that helps somebody.

• 14. Re: CS4 not exporting PSD layers.
                                    Navarro Parker Level 3

Thanks for responding. It seems very random and sporadic.  Here's hoping CS5 works a bit better in this regard!