11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2009 2:47 PM by rechmbrs

Scroll long text file (not title)

rechmbrs Level 1

I have a large amount of text that I'd like to be scrolled with a DVD video using PE4 to build it.  Only references I find, refer to title scrolling of limited amount of text.  Do not want Star Wars effect.

Can I import a text file somehow?   Use in other program to scroll it.  Screen capture??

Thanks,

RON C

• 1. Re: Scroll long text file (not title)
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Ron,

There are basically two ways to do this. Each has a plus, or two, and one has a minus, or sorts.

1.) Use the Titler in PE. Do a Copy/Paste of your text file. I'd probably look at the Roll setting, and try it, but would most likely do a static Title, and animate it with Keyframes on Motion>Position. You can have Titles that are longer than the frame that you're working with. I've done some in PrPro (do not think that PE would have a different limit), that were 60 lines of text.

2.) The other would be to create an image file in PS/PSE, or similar, that has the horizontal width and PAR, as your Project, but is much longer (cannot be longer than 4000 pixels) to accommodate the text. Import this into PE and then Keyframe the animation with Motion>Position.

If you find you're still too short, I'd look into breaking the credits into segments, and doing a separate Title for each segment. Say have the Cast Credits scroll through to near the ead and then the Crew Credits come in. Let there be a bit of space between the two, or three Titles, so you're not trying to match things up to the leading of the text.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Scroll long text file (not title)
            rechmbrs Level 1

Hunt,

Thanks.  I'll have a try.

RON C

• 3. Re: Scroll long text file (not title)
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Good luck, and let us know how you make out. For grins, I looked at a long Title PSD with 34 lines of text and it was only 720x1050 pixels, well within the 4000 pxl. limits. Now, I'd not go any larger, than you need to, as larger stills do have a tendency to slow PE down a bit. Still a 720x2000 should be fine and give you almost 70 lines of text. Do not know where a physical limit might be reached, but if you do hit it, thnk about doing several slightly smaller image files and using the spacing "trick," that I mentioned.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Scroll long text file (not title)
                rechmbrs Level 1

Hunt,

Thanks for help.

It turns out that the amount of text was excessive so I ended with 40 images and just placed them in the place where I was trying to scroll.

You were very helpful and will use your suggestion on another project.

RON C

• 5. Re: Scroll long text file (not title)
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I'm very glad that you were able to work with the ideas. Forty scrolling, long Titles is a lot of text. Before you put the final ribbon-n-bow on your Project, this ARTICLE might also help. Sorry that I did not think to link to it before. It's geared towards Encore and PrPro, but applies to all text in video.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Scroll long text file (not title)
                    rechmbrs Level 1

Very good article.  I'm from the image processing world so was aware of the problems and hopefully prepared the images for easy viewing.  I've always used a simple font (san serif) and bold style.  Find Verdana is very good.  I also will drop shadow or outline and really look at both the x and y spacing of the letters.  Photoshop is very useful handling various combinations etc. as well as resampling for tests.  I usually built the images where the image is over-sampled by maybe up to 4 times.

Adobe should have a white paper on this.  I see many videos and still images with poor font usage.

Thanks again for your help.

RON C

• 7. Re: Scroll long text file (not title)
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

I do agree, on the white paper by Adobe, and am just thankful for the various articles that others have done on this subject.

My background is also in advertising print image work. I was very used to working with monster files of the highest possible resolution, and then working to get it all to my client in the best form for printing.

Then the Web and Video became targets for my delivery, and each pose problems. The Web's is basically due to file sizes, and load times, but also the myriad viewers that the target audience might be using. Video is hampered by the size and the resolution. Designing for print is easy, though I do see problems now that TypographyTypesetting seems to have "died." Designing for the Web and Video is not quite the same.

You are very far ahead of most, when it comes to doing Titles/Text for Video.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Scroll long text file (not title)
                        rechmbrs Level 1

Hunt,

The videos and images I do are for family or friends.  I've been involved in imaging 3-D data for interpretation and display.  Spatial sampling is so crucial and data volumes are up to 1tb or more so web etc. is useless.  Learned much about text when I was on board of and editor of a scientific journal some years back.

Thanks again.

RON C

• 9. Re: Scroll long text file (not title)
                          rechmbrs Level 1

Hunt,

I sent you an e-mail at the address in the profile.  Did you get it?

RON C

• 10. Re: Scroll long text file (not title)
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, I saw it. Unfortunately, two of my POP accounts are acting up right now, so I only got to see the header in MailWasher. As soon as I get Cox to straighten things out for me, I'll get right to you.

Sorry for the delay,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Scroll long text file (not title)
                              rechmbrs Level 1

Have something to show you when you get POP fixed.

RON C