11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2009 4:33 PM by Ned Murphy

hyperlink an swf

stevetorn

does anyone know how to create a hyperlink on an swf file?  i think it can be done using actionscript during the creation of the fla, but i want to see if it can be hyperlinked AFTER creation, just using the website code.

thanks,

jev

• 1. Re: hyperlink an swf
          robdillon Most Valuable Participant

Are you talking about making the whole swf act as an anchor link when its clicked on?

• 2. Re: hyperlink an swf
            stevetorn Level 1

yes.  i want to take the swf file, put it on my website and then create a hyperlink on it so that when a user clicks on the swf flash image, it takes them to the URL that it is linked to.

thanks

Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 10:25:31 -0600

To: jevbrowser@hotmail.com

Subject: hyperlink an swf

Are you talking about making the whole swf act as an anchor link when its clicked on?

>

• 3. Re: hyperlink an swf
              Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As far as I know you cannot make a hyperlink out of an embedded swf file.  You could probably create a transparent image and use CSS to place that over the swf and link the image.  Another option, if you wanted to be able to change the url, would be to make the link functionality within the swf but feed the url for the link to it via FlashVars.

• 4. Re: hyperlink an swf
                stevetorn Level 1

thanks Ned.  Good idea.  the problem is, i don't know how to do what you just said to do.  i DO want to be able to change the URL without changing the swf file.  but i don't know how to use flashvars.  i would like to enable the functionality within the swf when i create it, but i don't know how.  can you help me?

Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 12:25:53 -0600

As far as I know you cannot make a hyperlink out of an embedded swf file.  You could probably create a transparent image and use CSS to place that over the swf and link the image.  Another option, if you wanted to be able to change the url, would be to make the link functionality within the swf but feed the url for the link to it via FlashVars.

>

• 5. Re: hyperlink an swf

What version of actionscript is your swf file published for?

• 6. Re: hyperlink an swf
                    stevetorn Level 1

Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 14:41:14 -0600

What version of actionscript is your swf file published for?

>

• 7. Re: hyperlink an swf

Do you know how to code buttons in AS3?

• 8. Re: hyperlink an swf
                        stevetorn Level 1

no.  how do i do that?

Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 15:41:39 -0600

Do you know how to code buttons in AS3?

>

• 9. Re: hyperlink an swf

I'm not too keen on giving lessons to folks who know nothing about Flash.  It's easy to see I'd be doing all of the work for you, which isn't why I'm here. But here's a starter for getting a button coded.  What you'll want to do is create a button that covers the entire swf stage and make it invisible (which you can do by only placing the shape of the button in it's "Hit" frame).  Then code it....

Once you have the button created and place it over the rest of the content in a layer of its own, the first thing you need to do to make it useful code-wise is to assign it a unique instance name.  While it's selected, you enter that unique instance name for it in the Properties panel... let's say you name it "btn1"

In AS3, to make a button work with code, you need to add an event listener for it.  You might need to add a few (for different events, like rollover, rollout, clicking it, but for now we'll just say you want to be able to click it to get a web page to open.  In the timeline that holds that button, in a separate actions layer that you create, in a frame numbered the same as where that button exists, you would add the event listener:

btn1.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, btn1Click);

The name of the unique function for processing the clicking of that button was already defined at the end of the event listener assignment, so now you just have to write that function out:

function btn1Click(evt:MouseEvent):void {

var url:String = "http://www.awebsite.com/awebpage.html";

var req:URLRequest = new URLRequest(url);

navigateToURL(req);

}

• 10. Re: hyperlink an swf
                            stevetorn Level 1

that's over my head.  oh well.  thanks for trying to help.

Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 15:58:50 -0600

I'm not too keen on giving lessons to folks who know nothing about Flash.  It's easy to see I'd be doing all of the work for you, which isn't why I'm here. But here's a starter for getting a button coded.  What you'll want to do is create a button that covers the entire swf stage and make it invisible (which you can do by only placing the shape of the button in it's "Hit" frame).  Then code it....

Once you have the button created and place it over the rest of the content in a layer of its own, the first thing you need to do to make it useful code-wise is to assign it a unique instance name.  While it's selected, you enter that unique instance name for it in the Properties panel... let's say you name it "btn1"

In AS3, to make a button work with code, you need to add an event listener for it.  You might need to add a few (for different events, like rollover, rollout, clicking it, but for now we'll just say you want to be able to click it to get a web page to open.  In the timeline that holds that button, in a separate actions layer that you create, in a frame numbered the same as where that button exists, you would add the event listener:

btn1.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, btn1Click);

The name of the unique function for processing the clicking of that button was already defined at the end of the event listener assignment, so now you just have to write that function out:

function btn1Click(evt:MouseEvent):void {

var /String = "http://www.awebsite.com/awebpage.html";

var req:URLRequest = new URLRequest(url);

navigateToURL(req);

}

>

• 11. Re: hyperlink an swf

You're welcome