11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2009 6:56 AM by Jim_Simon

Interlacing issues....

genoism Level 1

So this interlacing issue is driving me insane. I have standard dv ntsc 4:3 footage where the video camera shot it with the fields set to lower.

I created a sequence using the preset dv ntsc feature where the fields were set to lower as well. Size of the video and sequence are both 720x480.

Now when I put to videos together and use a default video transition like the cube spin....what do i get? I get a horribly interlaced transition. Mind you, the video looks perfect, the transition does not. WHY? Its driving me insane.

Things i have tried:

Creating the same sequence but only modifying the fields to progressive(none). My video remained set to lower. This fixed the transitions BUT made all my titles..."blurry" like its fields are messed up. So what gives???

Tried setting the sequence to upper fields....same thing, interlaced transitions.

The video stays sharp the whole time....

Any help would be immensely appreciated!

• 1. Re: Interlacing issues....
          Jim_Simon Level 8

How are you viewing the "horribly interlaced transition" to determine that it's horribly interlaced?

• 2. Re: Interlacing issues....
            genoism Level 1

I'm viewing it on a computer screen(final output will be viewed on a computer screen as well)

its the kind of interlace look that you get when you have fast motion and you get those lines....which you can fix by maybe a de interlacing filter but in this case you can't apply that to a transition....

• 3. Re: Interlacing issues....
              Jim_Simon Level 8

Computer monitors can't properly show interlaced footage (which yours is), so that's not a good palce to judge.  As a test, burn it out to DVD and watch in a CRT set.

• 4. Re: Interlacing issues....
                genoism Level 1

well....my final output will be viewed on a computer screen. I can't assume the client will use a crt over an lcd or whatever. I send them the qt file so no dvds

• 5. Re: Interlacing issues....
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

It's just a test to see if something really is wrong with the transition.

• 6. Re: Interlacing issues....
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

If you use a DV RW, you can use it over and over for testing. My 10-pack has probably lasted 5 years, and 100's of test burns. Saves making "coasters."

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Interlacing issues....
                      genoism Level 1

I dont care about the wasting a dvd, im just saying its pointless to burn one on it because the client doesnt want it on a dvd nor will it ever get burned to one. So whatever I see now rendered is what they will see....

Curious...but why would the dvd smooth it out? (assuming i would watch the dvd on the same computer screen)

Its not any single transition either its just about all of them.

Oddly enough I tried seeing if final cut pro would do any better and IT had interlaced transitions as well...wish i knew how to fix it.

• 8. Re: Interlacing issues....
                        shooternz Level 6

What transition are you applying?

Try another as a test.

• 9. Re: Interlacing issues....
                          genoism Level 1

I'm using cube spin....i've used it hundreds of times before and never had any issues But the only difference then was that i've been using progressive fields.

I've sort of found a solution, i have no idea why it works however.

I set my sequence settings to progressive and interpretred all my footage as progressive as well. Setting the sequence to progressive alone causes my TTITLES to become interlaced! Setting the video footage to progressive magically corrects the titles interlacing....I'm not even going to pretend I understand what titles have to do with my footage. Would have assumed it was based on the sequence setting not the footage its displayed on top of.

• 10. Re: Interlacing issues....
                            Jim_Simon Level 8

im just saying its pointless to burn one on it.

The point is to find out whether there is actually something wrong with the transition.  If nothing shows up weird when watched on a real TV, then we look else where to resolve the issue.

• 11. Re: Interlacing issues....
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

i have no idea why it works however.

It works because titles and transitions are rendered according to the sequence settings.  Your computer is progressive, so a progressive transition will look better.

The method you've gone about getting those results may not be the best option, though.  Premiere doesn't do the best job of deinterlacing interlaced footage.  Hence the DVD test to see if there was actually something wrong with the transition, or if the final result just needed to be deinterlaced.  It's looking like the latter, but there are better ways of going about it that the one you've stumbled upon.