4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2009 12:19 PM by pixlor

Help with my eraser tool please

I got a new laptop and installed a copy of fireworks on it. It seems to work differently on this new computer than my older one. The Eraser tool is all jittery and jumpy and will even continue on after I have released the mouse button. This sure makes it hard to erase small details. Can anyone help to identify what may be causing this?

PS. I just noticed that the brush tool has this jittery aspect also but the other tools seem fine.

• 1. Re: Help with my eraser tool please
          pixlor Level 4

If your new laptop is running Windows Vista and your Fireworks is CS3, then the problem is that the bitmap tools in CS3 don't run well with the transparent Aero theme.

You can change a setting (for Fireworks) so that Aero turns off when you launch Fireworks.

1) Go to where Fireworks is installed, usually C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Fireworks CS3

2) Right-click on Fireworks.exe and select Properties
          3) Select the the Compatibility tab
          4) Under Compatability mode label, select the checkbox for Run this program in compatability mode for: and select Windows XP (Service Pack 2) from the drop down box.
          5) Under the Settings label, check Disable desktop composition
          6) Click OK.

Now, when you start up Fireworks, your system should flicker as Aero is disabled (there's a message, which you can disable), but your bitmap tools should work. When you close Fireworks, your system will flicker as Aero returns.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Help with my eraser tool please
            cynthialwright Level 1

Hello Pixlor and thanks so much for taking the time to help me.

I followed the instructions and I saw the "flicker" and then got this message.

The following program has performed an action that requires Windows to temporarily change the color scheme to Windows Vista Basic.

Program: Fireworks

Publisher: Adobe Systems Incorporated

I am not sure if that is the message you mentioned in your post.

Now when I go to open Fireworks it just stalls on the load. The opening box appears and it says "initializing tools" but it just stalls there. I gave it 5 minutes and closed it with task manager. I tried again but same thing.

Can I pick your brain some more?

• 3. Re: Help with my eraser tool please
              cynthialwright Level 1

Hello again Pixlor,

I goofed around a bit more with your idea and got a great result. I ended up unchecking the box that said run in compatability mode with xp service pack but left the other box checked. Fireworks loads great and the tools work fine now. Thanks so much for your time.

• 4. Re: Help with my eraser tool please
                pixlor Level 4

Well, that's odd! I am not sure what underlying interaction causes the problem, so I guess different machines are just different.

Glad you got it to work for you!