24 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2009 11:20 PM by Dan Isaacs

Media Encoder turning 16:9 to 4:3

Grinvent

Everytime I try to output from Premiere a 16:9 file it always create a 4:3 file, I have all the settings correct in Premiere, it previews perfectly. I have tried to output to quicktime, AVI, MP4 etc, the toggles are all set to 16:9 or widescreen PAL presets and yet when I open the output after Media encoder does it's thing the files are 4:3. I am running latest updates to all CS4 products.

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Media Encoder turning 16:9 to 4:3
          Harm Millaard Level 7

A number:

You used a 4x3 camera which crops to 16x9 format.

Your player does not recognize the 16x9 settings.

Your DVD/TV is setup incorrectly.

OE.

You left out vital information to help you.

Take your pick.

• 2. Re: Media Encoder turning 16:9 to 4:3
            Jim_Simon Level 8

How are you watching the final export?

• 3. Re: Media Encoder turning 16:9 to 4:3
              Grinvent Level 1

I am watching just on the computer , either in media player or quicktime.  All the settings are correct, the Premiere settings are widescreen PAL, the outputs are set to widescreen PAL yet the final file comes out as 4:3.  I find it completely baffling.

Gary

• 4. Re: Media Encoder turning 16:9 to 4:3
                Jim_Simon Level 8

Neither Windows media Player nor Quicktime handle anamorphic files very well.  Try a different player.  KM Player, GOM and VLC are all good.  They will allow you to manually switch the display to 16:9 for playback.

• 5. Re: Media Encoder turning 16:9 to 4:3
                  Grinvent Level 1

No, it was captured on a widescreen camera.

The player is either quicktime or windows media player and it is the same when played back in Premiere.

Haven't got as far as TV/DVD.

OE, possibly. I have been an editor for 12 years and produced dozens of commercial video and DVD titles all  using Adobe products in one form or the other.  The last few were in CS3 using the old encoder built into Premiere,  I have recently switched to CS4 and now I am noticing problems.

I find the switching out to an external encoding program cumbersome and a backward step, even Aftereffects has a built in render queue and does not use the Media Encoder. There is probably a sound reason for this but it does not help my problem.

I am using Vista and the CS4 Mastercollection, I believe I am doing everything correctly, checking all items in the dialogue to make sure they are set correctly.

Gary

• 6. Re: Media Encoder turning 16:9 to 4:3
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

I believe I am doing everything correctly

I would agree.  The issue is your method of review.  Switch players, and the problem should go away.

• 7. Re: Media Encoder turning 16:9 to 4:3
                      Edit 1 Media Level 1

When you go to export your video, in the settings box, click between the two tabs - input/output on the preview window. They should both have the same aspect ratio. If they do, then you are exporting out of AME correctly. I do recall that if you are exporting HD material out to a quicktime format, then quicktime won't display the aspect correctly. It does when exported out of CS3 but not CS4. I am not sure if they fixed that with CS4 (4.1) or not.

• 8. Re: Media Encoder turning 16:9 to 4:3
                        Grinvent Level 1

OK, that is it.  I thought I was going mad.  I have changed media players and the files are appearing OK, the thumbnail image on the output files only appear 4:3  however other thumbnails including source show as 16:9 (this is in Explorer). Curious.

Thanks for the help.

Gary

• 9. Re: Media Encoder turning 16:9 to 4:3
                          Grinvent Level 1

Hi Jim,

That seemed to have sorted it out.  Thanks for the help.  Though I am still wary.

Gary

• 10. Re: Media Encoder turning 16:9 to 4:3
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Did you see my point #2 in my answer? That was as you stated the problem.

• 11. Re: Media Encoder turning 16:9 to 4:3
                              shooternz Level 6

I export 16:9   (from 720p) sequences on a regular basis and have zero issue with WMV Player  displaying a 16:9 format.  My clients also view these files as intended.

Explorer shows me the thumbnail correctly.

Checking the out put tab is important, as is having correct PAR setting and correct frame dimension.  THast about all there is to it.

I recall that I had to change my preset for this function between CS2/3 and CS4. I belive adove reinterpreted the PAR  at this time.

• 12. Re: Media Encoder turning 16:9 to 4:3
                                Grinvent Level 1

Thanks for that, I have been checking the output tab and it looked fine, it seems to be an issue with Quicktime and the Media Player.

• 13. Re: Media Encoder turning 16:9 to 4:3
                                  shooternz Level 6
                                  Thanks for that, I have been checking the output tab and it looked fine, it seems to be an issue with Quicktime and the Media Player.

I doubt that.

wmv can play 16:9 as can QT Player  (mov files require a flag to be set)

You probably have letterboxed 4:3 media (not 16:9)

• 14. Re: Media Encoder turning 16:9 to 4:3
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                                    wmv can play 16:9 as can QT Player  (mov files require a flag to be set)

Changing the display aspect ratio in WMP and Quicktime are difficult if not impossible.  It's a player design flaw.  GOM, VLC and KM Player all have easy menu and keyboard shotcuts for the purpose.

• 15. Re: Media Encoder turning 16:9 to 4:3
                                      shooternz Level 6
                                      Changing the display aspect ratio in WMP and Quicktime are difficult if not impossible.

Why do you persist in pointing out the functional inadequacies of the Player. 

It is done in the file not the Player.

AME can export a 16:9 wmv then play it as intended easily in the wmv player.  QT is a few extra steps but works perfectly.

If a client want wmv or qt movies, its uncool and un professional to tell them they need to load a different player into their computers before they can see what they are paying for.

Screen grab from wmv player window vi Grabit

wmv screen grab.jpg

Weird color on upload !!!! - I cant figure that but this frame serves to illustrate my point anyway

• 16. Re: Media Encoder turning 16:9 to 4:3
                                        Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Interesting smurf.

I have no issue with WMP, plays widescreen as it should do.

• 17. Re: Media Encoder turning 16:9 to 4:3
                                          shooternz Level 6

Original is not anything like this smurfy blue color but whatever... just another little forum quirk to bewilder me!

As regards the issue...some people seem to confuse "widescreen" and 16:9 by considering it the same thing when actually widescreen actually means nothing except an image that is wider than it is tall.

• 18. Re: Media Encoder turning 16:9 to 4:3
                                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Care to explain:

As regards the issue...some people seem to confuse "widescreen" and 16:9 by considering it the same thing when actually widescreen actually means nothing except an image that is wider than it is tall.

the difference between 16:9 and 4:3, since in both cases the image is wider than it is tall. Does your remark imply that 4:3 is widescreen too in your opinion?

• 19. Re: Media Encoder turning 16:9 to 4:3
                                              shooternz Level 6

Well 4:3 is certainly wide screen compared to 4:4

I would agree with the definition

"A widescreen image is a film, computer or television image with a wider and shorter aspect ratio than the standard Academy frame "

• 20. Re: Media Encoder turning 16:9 to 4:3
                                                Jim_Simon Level 8

Because those players have a hard time with anamorphic footage.  Using a player that handles it properly resovles the issue, no need to reexport.

• 21. Re: Media Encoder turning 16:9 to 4:3
                                                  shooternz Level 6

Because those players have a hard time with anamorphic footage.  Using a player that handles it properly resovles the issue, no need to reexport.

You are not listening or paying attention Jim and your lack of experience with HD is showing.

There is absolutely NO PROBLEM  exporting an HD Sequence (720p anamorphic PAR) to a wmv and having the player display it correctly.  It is a single step process that AME manages perfectly.  (without "re export").  I show you a frikin example grabbed directly from the WMV player and you are still banging on about the frikin player!

Coming back to using different Players as your work around (for an issue that does not exist if the job is done properly by a professional).  That may work fine in the wediing videography business but it wont work in my world where my edits go thru approval processes that involve many people from designers to CEOs of international corporations.   You think I am going to tell them all to get a different player installed for no reason that I can think of except Jim Simon is macphobic or something.

Basically you are giving crap advice in this instance.

• 22. Re: Media Encoder turning 16:9 to 4:3
                                                    Dan Isaacs Level 2

OK, maybe I am off-track here… but, for presentations on computer screens, is it not best to remove this variable entirely by converting whatever-aspect source to square pixels?

• 23. Re: Media Encoder turning 16:9 to 4:3
                                                      shooternz Level 6

You are not that far off track Dan.

My 16:9 presets  (for wmv export) uses a DV PAL PAR and the frame dimensions are altered accordingly.

• 24. Re: Media Encoder turning 16:9 to 4:3
                                                        Dan Isaacs Level 2

OK… so for PAL Widescreen using PAR 1.0 you should be outputting 1050x576 from Adobe Media Encoder … or, better:

720 -> [crop 9 pixels from each side] -> 702 -> 1024x576

In other words, don't use anamorphic pixels at all for computer-screen target output. If you give them a 1050x576 or (slightly cropped and true 16x9) 1024x576. With this, the video will be displayed correctly no matter what player they are using on their PC.