1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 27, 2009 6:22 AM by Harm Millaard

XDCAM EX With Premier Issues

wafed

Hello

i have footage shot on XDCAM EX camera EX1 and EX3 actually, and I started the editing of this footage on Premier CS4 but when my projects becomes bigger it gets some crashes and when I try to exprt the video to blueray or even dvd I get the media encoder jammed in the middle of its process!

I read in sony's documentation that I may need the MainConsept TM video codec and plugin to achieve better results is it why I'm suffering?

any other ideas?

please help, i am working on a documentary with about 20 Hours of footage.

my system is:

SuperMicro MB with dual CPUs (Xeon Core2Quad 2.33)

32GB Ram

ATI Raedon 3870 X2 Video Card

1TB System and Applications HD

RAID 5 2TB (3 Hard Disks) for Projects and Media

BlueRay Writer

DVD Writer

ATI VideoWonder Capture Card

Seprate RAID 5 controller from Promise tm.

thanks in advance

Wafed

• 1. Re: XDCAM EX With Premier Issues
          Harm Millaard Level 7

I have never tried EX footage in such 20 hour dimensions, it worked quite OK with 2 or 3 hours of footage, but when looking at you disk setup, with a 3 disk raid5 and considering you have around 360 GB of raw footage, it seems like the weak link in your setup, especially with a Promise controller. On a side note, why do you have the ATI Wonder card installed?

It appears that disk thruput is the bottleneck causing these crashes. I would first suggest you add another disk to your raid5. If that does not work, you may consider a better controller card. Your CPU and RAM definitely should not cause any problems.