10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2009 8:40 PM by ThanosNaranja

Importing VOB Files From A DVD...

ThanosNaranja

So I have this DVD with a VOB file that I loaded inot a project Folder. I then changed the file extension to "Mpeg" so that it I could import it inot my Premiere Pro project.  This all proceeded successfully - the File shows in the clip list and I had no problm placing it on the timeline.  The Video plays in the monitor, but the embedded audio does not.  The question is of course how to get the audo to play or conversely to get at the audio track.  The file plays perfectly normal (video and Audio) when played in Media Player Classic but not when played in Windows Media Player 9 - 11; video is okay but again no audio.  What gives?

• 1. Re: Importing VOB Files From A DVD...
          Harm Millaard Level 7

If the audio is 5.1 AC3, you may need to convert it to stereo before importing into PR. That may entail demuxing.

• 2. Re: Importing VOB Files From A DVD...
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Did you update to 4.1, because it took care of a bug concerning mpeg audio.

• 3. Re: Importing VOB Files From A DVD...
              ThanosNaranja Level 1

I am using Premiere Pro V7 with WinXp Professional.  To tell the truth, all I wanted to do was cut the comercials from a public television braodcast of the Fringe that I dubbed from my Phillips DVR.  It outputs a playable DVD, but becasue I am a perfectionist I put mysoef thru these hoops to get a clean copy of a TV show I really like... and then of course there is the oppotunity to learn something new and exercise the old noodle.  I read an interesting not from the archives about how you really can't edit mpeg due to the compression.  Search for this tag Edit Compressed (MPEG/DIVX/etc) Files it is well worth the read.  he suggest susing Womble f ro the job.  I am surprised that Premiere won't do it.  And then there is the no audio issue when it plays normally in Media Classic.

• 4. Re: Importing VOB Files From A DVD...
                ThanosNaranja Level 1

My DVR enciodes in Divx.

• 5. Re: Importing VOB Files From A DVD...
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, the problem is that a VOB is not always just the MPEG-2 file. It can be much more. Also, depending on which hardware, or software created it, it may not be up to DVD-spec. completely, and can also contain all sorts of "stuff." See this ARTICLE on another forum, and scroll down to my (Bill Hunt) post at the end.

As Ann points out, CS4.1 corrects some things with MPEG-2 Audio, plus also adds better support for VOB's in general. Note: these improvements seem to work perfectly with Encore-created VOB's. Others can be hit, or miss.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Importing VOB Files From A DVD...
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE covers one approach to ripping a DVD. It's from the Encore FAQ, but all sitll applies to PrPro.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Importing VOB Files From A DVD...
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      I am using Premiere Pro V7 with WinXp Professional.

OK, all references to CS4.1 will be moot. You will be better off ripping the DVD, per an article that I linked to elsewhere in this thread.

I also see that DivX plays into this somehow. You are best to convert any DivX material totally outside of PrPro.

I'd also wager that if you have a VOB that was created from DivX material, and then encoded to MPEG-2 for placement in a VOB wrapper, the quality is going to be horrible, whatever method you use to convert this stuff.

Good luck, though,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Importing VOB Files From A DVD...
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Plainly put, you are using the wrong tool for the job. With your source material quality is of no concern (it is lousy to start with and completely unsuitable for editing). So either use a consumer application like DivX to "edit" this or get decent source material. End of story.

• 9. Re: Importing VOB Files From A DVD...
                          ThanosNaranja Level 1

I am now using Womble Video Edit DVD for the project.

Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 10:38:37 -0600

To: bar_abbas@live.com

Subject: Importing VOB Files From A DVD...

Plainly put, you are using the wrong tool for the job. With your source material quality is of no concern (it is lousy to start with and completely unsuitable for editing). So either use a consumer application like DivX to "edit" this or get decent source material. End of story.

>

• 10. Re: Importing VOB Files From A DVD...
                            ThanosNaranja Level 1

Actually the quality is pretty good.  The DVD VOB files are dubbed from the harddrive of a Phillips DVR using a Divx encoder.  In deed PrPro was the wrong tool.  I am now using Womble Video Edit DVD to cut the commercials and then reassemble the output.

Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 10:14:57 -0600

To: bar_abbas@live.com

Subject: Importing VOB Files From A DVD...

I am using Premiere Pro V7 with WinXp Professional.

OK, all references to CS4.1 will be moot. You will be better off ripping the DVD, per an article that I linked to elsewhere in this thread.

I also see that DivX plays into this somehow. You are best to convert any DivX material totally outside of PrPro.

I'd also wager that if you have a VOB that was created from DivX material, and then encoded to MPEG-2 for placement in a VOB wrapper, the quality is going to be horrible, whatever method you use to convert this stuff.

Good luck, though,

Hunt

>