4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2009 1:35 PM by R-Cole

After Effects CS4 Exporting Question

R-Cole Level 1

I am creating several After Effects CS4 compositions that will be used in a Premier Pro CS4 project. Right now I am importing the AE compositions into Premiere with out exporting them first. It is real convenient to be able to click into PP and see the current changes take effect. My question is this, once I am done tweaking a composition should I be exporting it in another format or I is it ok to use the AE file as is? Am I suffering any quality loss by not going to quicktime or one of the other choices?

And in PP you hit enter to render. Is the AE equivalant hitting the space bar and playing the timeline? I see the green line above any changes but I didn't know if there is another step to maximize the quality of the finished product.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cole

• 1. Re: After Effects CS4 Exporting Question
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The only advantage of rendering to an intermediate codec is a little faster workflow in Premiere. You won't get a better result by changing your workflow, you'll just speed up Premiere a bit after you've finalized your AE work.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: After Effects CS4 Exporting Question
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

R-Cole wrote:

Am I suffering any quality loss by not going to quicktime or one of the other choices?

If you suffered any quality loss, you'd know your settings are wrong. Most commonly people make a mess of field order, which of course you can neatly avoid by using DynamicLink such as you already do. The rest is more or less a matter of personal preference and how much performance is consumed by live rendering the AE compositions vs. how much juice your machine has. You wouldn't use that workflow on very complex projects where rendering a single frame can take up to several minutes, but for straight titles and color corrections it's okay.

R-Cole wrote:

Is the AE equivalant hitting the space bar and playing the timeline?

The green line refers to frames stored in RAM, the blue ones to the disk cache, should you use it. Read the help files on how to generate RAM previews to populate both caches. After you have RAM-previewed each segement of the timeline and use the disk cache, it may be possible to get realtime spacebar playback, but there is no guarantee for that. After all, AE is primarily foicused on compositing, not RT editing. There's one caveat, however. The disk cache will only be used, if AE thinks it could not render the frames quick enough, so in your simple scenario it may never be used. And of course specific chnages will invalidate caches, so you's have to re-render. It really depends.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: After Effects CS4 Exporting Question
              R-Cole Level 1

Thanks for clarifying

• 4. Re: After Effects CS4 Exporting Question
                R-Cole Level 1

Thanks to you as well. For right now I am just doing some text overlays so I should be ok. I appreciate the input guys.