3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2009 8:10 AM by the_wine_snob

Widescreen rendering problem

Mo Reece Level 1

I made a widescreen project for editing footage I shot with my Sony cam, 16:9. I used some photo's in the project and a bug in the upper right corner. But when I render my movie  with the export settings on Widescreen 16:9, the output video looks like 4:3 (with everything thin and tall).

When I render it non-widescreen, I get a 4:3 letterbox with black bars on top and below, so the video is widescreen. Except for when the photo's pop up: they fill the whole screen and get cut off at the sides. Also, the bug I put in the video isn't at the upper right corner of the video, but the upper right corner of the screen, so partially over the video and partially over the black bar on top.

I am quite new to all this, so maybe I'm overlooking something very obvious. But at this point, I'm totally clueless...

• 1. Re: Widescreen rendering problem
          Paul_LS Level 4

Are you sure you set up a Widescreen Project Preset at the start up screen before you started your project?

What format does your camcorder shoot? DV-AVI, MPEG???

Do the video's look correct in Premiere Elements monitor window before you export them? If not you may need to right click on the clip in the Project Media Panel (when you are in Edit) and select Interpret Footage and then select Conform To and select the widescreen option.

And did you do anything with "scale to frame" for the clips or photos?

• 2. Re: Widescreen rendering problem
            Mo Reece Level 1

I chose the PAL, DV, Widescreen 48 kHz preset in Premiere Elements 7 and export the movie using the D1/DV PAL Widescreen 16:9 (1.422) pixel aspect ratio. My camcorder is a two year old Sony model with DV tapes, so it shoots in DV AVI.

The movie looks perfect in the monitor window, which is why I'm so surprised the rendered movie doesn't. I didn't "scale to frame" anything.

*update*

I now tried four things:

1. use a widescreen project and export it to widescreen -> everything is stretched thin and tall
            2. use a widescreen project and export it to 4:3 -> video in letterbox, images not. Images get cut off, bug is half over the video, half over the black bar. Video looks okay.
            3. use a 4:3 project and export it to 4:3 -> video in letterbox, images not. Images do not get cut off but slightly stretched
            4. use a 4:3 project and export it to widescreen -> everything is stretched thin and tall

So even though my original video is widescreen, exporting to widescreen *always* stretches the image. Option number 3 gives the best result, but why does the video end up in letterbox and the photo's don't? There is no letterbox at all in the monitor window...

Message was edited by: Mo Reece

• 3. Re: Widescreen rendering problem
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Mo,

In the Project Panel, Rt-click on one of your Clips and go to Interpret Footage. What does it report for your frame size? If it does not match your Project settings, see if changing it to match will correct your Export. This is just a test for now, but might point someone in a direction to help you.

Good luck,

Hunt