13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2009 8:10 AM by Wade_Zimmerman

B&W double outline glitch?

hrfrerich Level 1

7a80c4b39be07b1a4e77b6a89ed9c7e0.png

I used a caligraphy brush to write my name, then "object > expand appearence" to convert the stroke to a shape. duplicated that layer twice, added 10pt white stroke to 2nd layer, and 20pt black stroke to the bottom, you can see little tears are visible, apparently cause by the last black layer. I tried everything ordered in one layer and 3 different layers, no change. they show up when rasterized too.

I changed my "align stroke" to "outside" for the stroke layers and that GREATLY helped but there is still one small tear by the "r". I could just put a white block over it but I could see this being a problem for something complex.

any ideas?

• 1. Re: B&W double outline glitch?
          hrfrerich Level 1

fixed it, instead of "expand appearence" whitch leaves the original stroke and just adds outlines, you have to "rasterize", "live trace", and "expand" so only the outlines are stroked. this seems un-neccesary but oh well...

Untitled-1.jpg

• 2. Re: B&W double outline glitch?
            Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Looks like a good way to go!

• 3. Re: B&W double outline glitch?
              Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

hrfrerich,

No need to destroy artwork by rasterizing.

You may:

1) Object>Path>Outline Stroke to get paths which are compound in some cases;

2) Direct Select and delete parts of compound paths to remove holes wherever wanted;

3) Appearance Palette flyout>Add New Fill twice and change colours (white and black);

4) In Appearance palette, select topmost black fill and Effects>Path>Offset Path with appropriate negative value;

5) repeat 5 for intermediate white fill.

You may save as Style and reuse, repeating 2) for new letters/shapes wherever wanted.

• 4. Re: B&W double outline glitch?
                hrfrerich Level 1

Nopers!

"outline stroke" will remove the caligraphy brush and apply a normal round stroke no matter what.

you can do what you want with "expand apperence" then deleteing the middle.

BUT your "offset path" only works for simple paths and just really messes up these letters.

It's because the Brush tool likes to put these weird trrns in when you make sharp angles.

88fdc85685f742231c299b69e6ebafcf.png

my way is still the only way I can do this with a caligraphy brush (or any brush...) so far.

• 5. Re: B&W double outline glitch?

hrfrerich,

You are rigth about the Outline Stroke, sorry for overlooking the calligraphy brushing, but with a bit of cleanup there is still no need to destroy artwork by rasterizing.

You may:

1) Object>Expand Appearance, Ungroup, and delete the spine path;

2) Zoom in and delete the crossover anchor points with the Delete Anchor Point Tool, and adjust handles with the Direct Selection Tool if needed;

3) Appearance Palette flyout>Add New Fill twice and change colours (white and black);

4) In Appearance palette, select topmost black fill and Effects>Path>Offset Path with appropriate negative value;

5) repeat 5 for intermediate white fill.

You may save as Style and reuse.

• 6. Re: B&W double outline glitch?
                    Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

I sometimes use the pathfinder and the upper left icon Add.

• 7. Re: B&W double outline glitch?
                      hrfrerich Level 1

thanks guys!

I think the main problem for me is all the sharp edges are just all screwed up in different ways. I can move one of the scewed up ancor points to a corver and use the point convert tool to change it to sharp and delete all the crap points around it. but that is SO labor instensive when it litterally takes 10 seconds to rasterize in high q, simple line trace, and expand. I could see this beeing an issue for complex vectors, but I just drew this thing by hand with my mouse in 10 seconds, It wasent very accurate to begin with, and a little rounding off of things really doesnt hurt. It still seems more logical to just rasterize in super high quality and trace rather than anything else, ESPECIALLY for complex vectors that would take days to fix. Just let your computer crunch the rasterizer instead.

• 8. Re: B&W double outline glitch?

hrfrerich,

I see your good reasons; it is laborious to keep it in vector.

If anyone else reads this thread and wishes to use the suggestion in post #5, in 1) it might be better to hide the spine path so it may be used for reference.

• 9. Re: B&W double outline glitch?
                          Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

There is a way around the problem you can try just use he pathfinder

and us the unite command to simplify the paths you can make that a

compound shape if you wish as well.

You first flatten the transparency then unite then compound shape and then

Picture 3.png

• 10. Re: B&W double outline glitch?
                            hrfrerich Level 1

wade, it looks like you still got a little protrusion there.

For anyone searching through this info i'll just say I was a bit of a novice when I asked this question. The problem is easily fixed by using one object with 2 strokes as opposed to 2 objects stacked on top of each other.

Just "expand">set your black outline>click on "contents" in the "apperence" tab> "add new stroke" in apperence tab> set your white outline.

Why didn't anyone sugest this?

• 11. Re: B&W double outline glitch?
                              Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Sorry I could not be of help.

• 13. Re: B&W double outline glitch?
                                Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

I am not certain I understand your response, actually I don't understand it at all.