10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2009 1:25 PM by the_wine_snob

Can Hollywood FX 4.5 Run in Vista?

sneedbreedley Level 1

Using Windows XP, I was able to get Pinnacle Hollywood FX 4.5 to run in Premiere Pro CS3 by copying a prm file into Premiere's Plug in folder. But now in Vista, when I try to open a Hollywood transition, I get the error message "Unable to start license tool program" Is there anyway to fix this?

• 1. Re: Can Hollywood FX 4.5 Run in Vista?
          Phil Griffith Level 2

Yes, hollywood fx will run in vista (I'm running vista 64 bit) and it works just fine in cs3. It also works in cs4 in vista just fine. However, I can not get it to work in windows 7 RC. It gives me the license error message.

• 2. Re: Can Hollywood FX 4.5 Run in Vista?
            sneedbreedley Level 1

I reinstalled it 4 times and everytime I open an effect I get the same error message. Any idea why?

• 3. Re: Can Hollywood FX 4.5 Run in Vista?
              SFL46 Level 3

having run HFX back in my Pinnacle Liquid days, I remember that the license tool relied on access to the processor ID number.  I would have a strong suspicion that the 32-but license tool app may not know where to look in the Vista 64 kernal to find the info.

Usually, every time you changed the OS, re-installed on a new machine, or even changed the system HDD, you would have to communicate with Pinnacle to get a new unlock code--based on your new system data.

• 4. Re: Can Hollywood FX 4.5 Run in Vista?
                Phil Griffith Level 2

I don't think it could be that. I have been running FX since vista came out in 64 bit. The OP can't get it to run on their vista machine, which I can. I can't get it to run (license tool) in Windows 7 RC.(64bit)

• 5. Re: Can Hollywood FX 4.5 Run in Vista?
                  sneedbreedley Level 1

I gave up so I formatted my hard drive, installed windows XP and now everything is running smothly including Hollywood FX 4.5 and TMPEnc (which also wouldn't work in Vista 64bit).

• 6. Re: Can Hollywood FX 4.5 Run in Vista?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad to hear the good news, and thanks for reporting.

Sorry that it took a reformat, but knowing that is likely to help someone else later on.

Hunt

• 7. Re: Can Hollywood FX 4.5 Run in Vista?
                      sneedbreedley Level 1

I wouldn't call it "good news" and it didn't take just a reformatting. Remember I never got the applications to work with Vista 64bit. I hated going backwards to XP but I had no other choice. When Windows 7 comes out I will tackle the future then.

• 8. Re: Can Hollywood FX 4.5 Run in Vista?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Oops, I missed that you had to go from Vista to XP (though I do like XP), even though it's right there in your post's title. I forgot the original setup.

I've got a bunch of Hollywood FX's, but do not use them enough to even spend the time with the renaming, etc. - yet. Thanks for the H/U regarding Vista.

Hunt

• 9. Re: Can Hollywood FX 4.5 Run in Vista?
                          Phil Griffith Level 2

Ok, an update. I had been using Hollywood fx for some time with transitions in photo slide shows. It was working quite well in Vista 64 at the beginning of this thread. But it would not  run in Windows 7. same error message about the license tool. But a few weeks ago it suddenly stopped working in vista as well. As a stand alone program, it would work. but inside of premiere it would give me the error.

I have been trying everything. I figured out that it would work in xp so I knew it wasn't something coming from pinnacle. (I had wondered if they were somehow blocking license from their end.

Well, in my quest, I reinstalled Vista 64. At first, I couldn't get premiere cs4 to install. Then I did a small number of updates in windows. I found that after update of Microsoft.net framework 3.5 service pack 1, I could then install prem cs4.  So I stopped there and installed cs4 and hollywood fx. Everything is working good. I even updated premiere to 4.1 and still all good.

On retrospect, I am suspecting IE8 as the culprit. I am thinking that hollywood fx probably stopped working after I update from ie7 to 8. As for windows 7, it comes with ie8 so that's why t never worked to begin with.

Only way to prove it would be to update vista to ie8, but I never liked ie8 anyway.

• 10. Re: Can Hollywood FX 4.5 Run in Vista?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Phil,

This is good to know. Thanks for reporting.

Seems that IE8 has a lot of problems and not just on the Adobe-side of the street. I have blocked it from all of my machines, so that it does not sneak into the mix.

This is also good to know from a troubleshooting standpoint. It could be likely that others might reply with "hey, it works for me. Must be something you're doing." They might never make the IE8 connection.

Appreciated,

Hunt