5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2009 1:51 AM by Mylenium

Smoothing of Photoshop files in AfterEffects

Grinvent

I am using CS4, I am also new to AE.  I have imported a layered logo into AE for an overlay on footage.  The output is to DVD but the logo is heavily pixelated around the edges.  The PS image was larger than the comp size and I have scaled it down to fit.  Is there any way to smooth the edges of this?

Gary

• 1. Re: Smoothing of Photoshop files in AfterEffects
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Make sure that you have high quality enabled. Make sure that you're not over compressing the output.

A little more info about the project would be helpful. Things like Composition Settings, Output Module Settings, Render Settings, Color Depth, Codec, Format, where the files look bad (output from the dvd or the render).

A screen shot of the problem would also help because color artifacts look different than compression artifacts which look different than problems created by incorrect  quality settings on the footage layer or the render settings.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Smoothing of Photoshop files in AfterEffects
            Grinvent Level 1

Output is to DVD, it is a 15 second promo and the logo has been tried as a hi res PS and an AI file.  It has the jaggies on the monitor, like very poor antialiasing.  It was initially an AI file. What I need to know is how to get a clean edge on an imported image. I'm sorry but I can't post this due to a NDA.

• 3. Re: Smoothing of Photoshop files in AfterEffects
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

So how does the image look on the render for output to DVD? You should be using your DVD authoring program or another program to compress. You should also be doing multiple pass compression.

You could also be introducing other problems. A little more detail about your workflow would be good. 

• 4. Re: Smoothing of Photoshop files in AfterEffects
                Grinvent Level 1

I have output to DVD using Encore  and it is quite jagged on a large TV. Compression is minimum, I don't believe this is compression artefacts as it appears jagged on the monitor in AE. Yes I do multiple pass rendering.

I have created a composition in AE, imported 3 logo elements, 2 of which are solid with a rectangular border and no issues, the 3rd is a holllow oval shape with text in the centre in a script.  This is the one causing the issues.  I am tempted to just stick a white border around it and be done with it, it may be the absence of backgound that is the issue.  I will try and see how this goes.

• 5. Re: Smoothing of Photoshop files in AfterEffects
                  Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

From your description I tend to think that the PSDs document's ppi/ dpi was directly rendered to 72/ 96 dpi for screen or video output and therefore there is insufficient antialaiasing around flat angled edges. This can be best avoided by rasterizing at higher dpi in PS, then downsizing, possibly even in multiple steps, as every new resize and transform would use the current state of the image for further resampling. The document resolution would also be somewhat important, if you used your vector art as a smart object or have layer styles applied, so check into those things.

Mylenium