3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2009 9:52 PM by Brad Lawryk

Purchasing After Effects System

extendthedot

Hello Everyone,

Im purchasing a new system mainly for print photoshop and design work. However, i want to break into motion graphics so i would like a system that can handle After Effects well so that i can learn the ropes. I checked out a basic single processor quad core 2.66 at the mac store and it handled a 2Gig photoshop file no problem. So that system would be comfortable for that purpose.

My question is, how comfortable would learning be on the following system. After Effects is a lot to learn and i want to be able to explore the effects and preview without wasting lots of time but i also want to be reasonable.

Quad-Core

One 2.66GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon "Nehalem" processor
      8GB
      NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 with 512MB

I know its the low end but i thought it would be great for someone to learn After Effects on. Please note that i would probably get frustrated with a slow system and this would dampen my motivation to learn After Effects. I just dont want to wait twenty minutes just to see what a filter would do.

thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Purchasing After Effects System
          Brad Lawryk Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't know a lot about Mac but it seems you have plenty of power over the basic rerquirements (http://www.adobe.com/products/aftereffects/systemreqs/).

I run it on a PC with the equivalent video card and 4 GB Ram and Quad core and there is no problems at all. Again, I am guessing for a Mac but to me it looks like you have plenty of power there.

Brad Lawryk
          Community Expert: Dreamweaver
          Usergroup Manager: Northern British Columbia Adobe Usersgroup

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Purchasing After Effects System
            Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

The specs you've posted are well within the requirements to run After Effects reliably.

Some other considerations:

Video applications use a lot more hard drive space than PSDs, especially if you work with lossless files.  Get a nice big hard drive to store your footage on.  A 1.5 Terabyte SATA drive is  below US $150 these days.

Video applications work best when the project resources (footage etc) are stored on a separate drive to the OS and application.  So ideally you should have at least two drives accessible to the system:  a system drive for the OS and applications, and a fast resources drive to store your footage and other resources for PS and After Effects.  If you plan to work in high definition resolutions, you may need to consider RAIDing multiple drives to increase your drive I/O capabilities.

I can't imagine doing a lot of work in AE without lots of screen real estate.  If your budget permits, consider dual monitors - it will make Photoshop AND AE much easier to work with.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Purchasing After Effects System
              Brad Lawryk Adobe Community Professional & MVP

All excellent advise Andrew, especially two monitors. Could never go back to one.

"Video applications work best when the project resources (footage etc) are stored on a separate drive to the OS and application."

This I did not know. Why is that? Perhaps I should be moving my files. Is it a noticable difference?

Brad Lawryk
              Community Expert: Dreamweaver
              Usergroup Manager: Northern British Columbia Adobe Usersgroup