3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2009 7:09 AM by Brandon Allen 79

MPEG-4 from After Effects?

Brandon Allen 79

I'm trying to export an MPEG-4 file for upload to YouTube from After Effects with the following settings:

MPEG4 (DivX, Xvid) format

640×480 resolution

64k Mono or 128k Stereo MP3 audio

30 fps

I don't see the MPEG-4 preset in the Format popup of the Output Module dialog box.  Should I be looking somewhere else?  Or do I have to buy a codec for MPEG-4?  I'm new to this so I'm not sure I'm even asking the correct question.  Please humor my ignorance.

• 1. Re: MPEG-4 from After Effects?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

To get the best MPEG compression you need to do multi pass rendering. I'd render lossless or near lossless out of AE then use QTpro or another app for generating the MPEG clip.

I guess it's time for a workflow tutorial. So many questions about output and so much confusion.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: MPEG-4 from After Effects?
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Assuming you have a full version of AE (the trial version is devoid of any MPEG-realted features for licensing reasons), you could render a H.264 file (the native one, not QT), then transcode it to DivX/Xvid using SUPER© or similar tools. This seems the most efficient way of getting there without having to use hunky uncompressed intermediate files...

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: MPEG-4 from After Effects?
              Brandon Allen 79 Level 1

Rick: I'll try this.  And a workflow tutorial would be great.  Mylenium: I do have a full version of AE.  If Rick's solution doesn't work, I'll try yours.

I'll keep you posted.