2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2008 8:57 AM by chrysknight

How to keep browser from intercepting keyboard input

chrysknight
      I'm trying to get my Flex application to accept Crtl-F as a keyboard shortcut/input. However, the browser intercepts this first and it never makes it to the Flex app, opening the browser search dialog instead. Is there an easy workaround for this?
        • 1. Re: How to keep browser from intercepting keyboard input
          g-s-b Level 1
          I would think that the "Browser's shortcuts" are not yours to change in a web application. It is the user's browser and s/he depends on those shortcuts. It would be a bad security violation should you go about changing the browser basic behaviors.

• 2. Re: How to keep browser from intercepting keyboard input
            chrysknight Level 1
            While I agree that I wouldn't normally want to hijack browser short cuts, Flex imposes a limitation on applications by not being able to search for text on the screen. Pressing Ctrl-F brings up the search dialog but won't find anything in the flex application. My flex application takes up the entire browser window, thereby making the browser search tool useless. I have built my own search tool in my flex application, but was hoping to keep the shortcut seeing as the browser one doesn't work and may confuse users into thinking that text they are searching for isn't there, when in fact it is.