5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2009 12:50 PM by the_wine_snob

which pantone sub-set?

kirm99 Level 1

a client gave me the pantone number for their logo color, but doesn't know which pantone set it's from: solid, matte, or whatever. How do I tell? I'm going to only use the logo in video - it won't be printed.

the color's LAB settings are slightly different in each set, even though they have the same pantone name and number

• 1. Re: which pantone sub-set?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Personally, I'd sample the Pantone (by the #) in PS and record the RGB values. PrPro will not be using a Pantone #, and you will be limited to RGB, HSB, YUV or the Web color number. I'd stick with the RGB value. As you indicate a variation in the color, using the same Pantone #, you might have to do a bit of an average. Also, remember that with video, the exact color reproduced will likely differ from TV to TV. Unlike a calibrated print workflow, you have zero control on what sort of setup the final will be viewed on, and what its calibration will be. It's like handing off a PDF with full color specs to a client, who will run it on an uncalibrated desktop printer, and one that no ICC Profile exists for. You "takes your chances."

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: which pantone sub-set?
            kirm99 Level 1

Thanks for the response. I guess my basic question is: is there a "standard" pantone type that's used for more most things, like video? Such as solid or matte? i imagine some of the types are for obscure printing on fabrics or plastics.

• 3. Re: which pantone sub-set?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

This DISCUSSION might give a bit more info on Pantone for Video.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: which pantone sub-set?
                kirm99 Level 1

Thanks for the follow up. I also did some more searching  - and I think the idea is - pick a color and stick with it. the on screen color is going to vary on each monitor and tv - but you want all the logos in your production to match each other.

so I'm just going to choose the one that looks best on my screen and go with it.

• 5. Re: which pantone sub-set?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

That is the best that one can do, regarding color in video. You can use a calibrated monitor to do color grading, but once the video is distributed, it's totally out of your hands.

Good luck,

Hunt