5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2008 8:42 AM by pixlor

Fireworks Nav Menu Problem

web-makeovers
      Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem? In a drop down navigation menu created with Fireworks and inserted into Dreamweaver, in some browsers we get an unwanted "A" character where the space is between words. Visit this page to see problem: http://www.ptsd.k12.pa.us/bowerhill/index.htm

We are rolling out a new design this weekend and the first pages are up. Once we pulled the site off of the Test Server and placed it on the school's server, we now see that the drop down menu has these unwanted characters.
        • 1. Re: Fireworks Nav Menu Problem
          JoeDaSilva Level 4
          It's in the source code. Can't you just remove it there? I have no idea why it's there mind you, but it doesn't surprise me given that the menu system that Fireworks produces leaves quite a lot to be desired.
          • 2. Fireworks Nav Menu Problem
            pixlor Level 4
            The character is not an A, it is an A with circumflex (a different character) and it is in your HTML source code. Did you, perhaps, copy the text from a word processing program, maybe on a Mac? Sometimes the non-ASCII characters in different fonts, especially on different platforms, do not behave as expected.

Anyway, open your files in Dreamweaver and do a search and replace to remove these characters. Since they are special characters, not As, they should not affect any upper case letter As that you have. If you have an advanced text editor (I like TextPad) you can do a search/replace in multiple files in one fell swoop.

And next time, don't use a graphics program to write your HTML for you. Make your menu in Dreamweaver, not in Fireworks. Fireworks' HTML is not robust. Fireworks' HTML export is designed for prototypes/mockups, not for production sites.

Edit: Ha! Joey beat me by a just over a minute!
            • 3. Re: Fireworks Nav Menu Problem
              web-makeovers Level 1
              Thank you for your reply. After further research, what I discovered is that a space is causing the A with the circumflex. I will try adding a nbsp; to see if that corrects the problem.

When creating drop down menus in Fireworks, it is not possible to cut n paste, so that eliminates the ASCII potential conflict.

I appreciate you taking the time to help.
              • 4. Re: Fireworks Nav Menu Problem
                arcticmike
                Pixlor, is there any intuitive way (not code, but similar to the Fireworks way) to create dropdown menus in Dreamweaver like the ones you create in Fireworks? Any links or threads or tips welcome. I initially thought this was an amazing feature in Fireworks, but I must be doing something wrong because when exported to Dreamweaver and later re-imported into Fireworks I get weird error messages.
                • 5. Fireworks Nav Menu Problem
                  pixlor Level 4
                  quote:

Originally posted by: arcticmike
                  Pixlor, is there any intuitive way (not code, but similar to the Fireworks way) to create dropdown menus in Dreamweaver like the ones you create in Fireworks? Any links or threads or tips welcome. I initially thought this was an amazing feature in Fireworks, but I must be doing something wrong because when exported to Dreamweaver and later re-imported into Fireworks I get weird error messages.

The Project VII menus are highly recommended. They are plugins to Dreamweaver. At $90, they'll give you quality, robust code in a short time.
                  Project VII menus