4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2009 1:42 PM by John T Smith

Packet Size and Bit Rates

Doyle Lonnigan Level 1

I've got a video that I produced in After Effects for DVD that our IT department would like to post to our intranet.  I've been asked by the IT folks to give them a full screen Windows Media Video file with a maximum packet size of 1300 bytes and a bitrate of 500K.  Does this sound reasonable to those who are fluent with these parameters?  I ask because the default custom setting for packet size is 16000 bytes, far above what's being allowed to me.  I've experimented with some exports at those settings and I can't seem to produce full screen (getting 320 x 240) and the video quality is terrible.

I've exported an uncompressed AVI  from After Effects (which looks great) and have been trying to convert it using Premier or Windows Media Encoder.  I can't find a way to set the maximum packet size in Premier and the results are grainy anyway, so I've tried using Windows Media Encoder, which seems to produce better looking WMV files.  However, nothing I've tried so far produces anything satisfactory.  Can anyone tell me if it's possible to produce a decent looking WMV file with the parameters being laid out by my IT people?  If so, what's the trick?

Thanks in advance for any help!

• 1. Re: Packet Size and Bit Rates
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Bitrate is video related, but I've only ever heard of "packet size" in realtion to networking.  I don't know if there is any way to control such a thing from a video encoding standpoint.

• 2. Re: Packet Size and Bit Rates
            Doyle Lonnigan Level 1

Well, Windows Media Encoder has a setting for "Maximum Packet Size" where you can rely on the default setting or choose a custom number of bytes.  Premier doesn't have any like parameter that I can find.  It's definitely a networking consideration and I seem to have some control over it, but I'm not sure what to set the other parameters to in order to get a decent result.  In fact, I'm wondering if they're not asking for an unusually small packet size that might make marginally decent full screen video impossible.  If I at least know that they're not asking the impossible I'll find out how to get it done, but if it's a pipe dream I'd like to know before I waste too much time.

• 3. Re: Packet Size and Bit Rates
              Doyle Lonnigan Level 1

After I steered away from here, I found a post on another forum where a guy mentions that his "corporate intranet is typical in that our data packets need to be smaller that 1540 bytes", so I guess 1300 isn't far out of the ballpark.  The poster in this case states that, "when we use the pre-EME Windows Media Encoder with a max packet setting of 1420, all is beautiful", but he doesn't go into any detail about how the other export settings are handled.

• 4. Re: Packet Size and Bit Rates
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>trying to convert it using Premier or Windows Media Encoder

For WME, you might want to search at http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US