9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2009 5:01 PM by the_wine_snob

PE7 Freezing Problems

strawberryred

Hi everyone.  I just got a new laptop in March and bought the Adobe Photoshop Elements 7 and Premiere Elements 7 package with it.  I have not been able to get Premiere to work for me at all.

Basically I open the program, and it doesn't matter if I select a new project or an existing project.  I can import media (videos, photos, whatever) but as soon as I try to click on something it freezes on me and won't let me go any farther.  If I try to use media that is already imported, it does the same thing.  As soon as the program is open, and I click on anything, it freezes.

I have tried changing the name of my preference and style folders, but that doesn't work.

I have also tried to uninstall and reinstall the program and the same thing keeps happening.

Any tips?  I'm sad that I bought it and now I can't use it at all!

• 1. Re: PE7 Freezing Problems
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Please furnish the details of your laptop and your OS.

Next, tell us about the Assets that you have tried to work with - the more detail, the better.

What is your Project Preset?

For crashes and hangs, you might find some useful info in this ARTICLE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: PE7 Freezing Problems
            strawberryred Level 1

It is a Dell Inspiron 1525, Intel Core 2 Duo T6400, 2.0GHz, 800 Mhz, 2M L@ Cashe  with 4GB RAM and 620 GB Hard Drive.  It is using Vista, which may be part of my problem.

As for what Assets, I'm not exactly sure what you mean.

And the Project Preset, It is NTSC-DV Standard 48kHz  I have tried using different ones, but it still freezes no matter what.

I have been using a Vado Pocket Cam HD from Creative Labs.  I'm not trying to do anything fancy with the program, just simple editing and adding text, etc.  It records in high def  widescreen 1280x720p resolution.  It has an 8GB of internal storage, and plugs in with a built in USB cable.

I have also just tried to do a picture collage, and it freezes with that as well.

• 3. Re: PE7 Freezing Problems
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As for what Assets, I'm not exactly sure what you mean.

And the Project Preset, It is NTSC-DV Standard 48kHz  I have tried using different ones, but it still freezes no matter what.

I have been using a Vado Pocket Cam HD from Creative Labs.  I'm not trying to do anything fancy with the program, just simple editing and adding text, etc.  It records in high def  widescreen 1280x720p resolution.  It has an 8GB of internal storage, and plugs in with a built in USB cable.

Assets are the video files you are trying to edit

I think that your files are not really designed for editing... at least not without converting to DV AVI Type 2 (that is the preset you mention... but that is not the format of your files)

I don't have the link handy, but I'm sure Eddie will be along soon with a link to how you convert that file to an edit file

• 4. Re: PE7 Freezing Problems
                Steve Grisetti-JFIrXo Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I agree. Like video from Flip cameras, VADO video isn't really good for editing in its native state.

The FAQs to the right of this forum offer information on software for converting it to a more editable format.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/437535?tstart=0

• 5. Re: PE7 Freezing Problems
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  I have also just tried to do a picture collage, and it freezes with that as well.

What are the sizes of these still images? While PE can handle images up to 4000 in the largest dimension, these case all sorts of problems and can bring even a pretty stout computer to its knees. Sizing to not much larger than your Project's frame size will benefit you in many ways.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: PE7 Freezing Problems
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, the Vado records in H.264 CODEC in an AVI wrapper. First thing that I'd look at would be to make sure that you have the latest version of Apple QuickTime player installed.

As H.264 have some variations on implementation, there can be issues. Because of its highly compressed form, it can be tough to edit.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: PE7 Freezing Problems
                      strawberryred Level 1

I'll have to look into changing the format of the video first.  It is still freezing though, as soon as I get it open and click on anything on the right hand side.  It pretty much won't let me do anything.

• 8. Re: PE7 Freezing Problems
                        strawberryred Level 1

I'll have to look into changing the format of the video first.  It is still freezing though, as soon as I get it open and click on anything on the right hand side.  It pretty much won't let me do anything.

• 9. Re: PE7 Freezing Problems
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, PE7 does not ship with "sample files," IIRC. However, I would suggest that you search for a short DV-AVI Type II file on the Internet and download it to try. You should be able to find one on Muvipix, and download it. Look for the free Content. I'd next get a JPEG image, sized to approximately 1000x750 pixels.

Create a "test" Project from New, using the DV Preset for where ever you are, i.e. NTSC, or PAL.

Import these two Assets into the Project, and see what happens.

If there are still problems, then there may be more going on, than with just the Assets.

Good luck, and let us know how the "test" Project goes.

Hunt