5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2009 4:19 PM by KJonesy

question about HD capture

KJonesy Level 1

I having been using a friend's Canon XL A1 camcorder with CS3. The capture takes a very long time (when I finally get it to actually capture). My specs are:

Vista 64 bit

Intel Core 2 Quad

4 GB RAM

Is it normal for CS3 to take a long time to capture?

Does CS4 do a better job of capturing?

• 1. Re: question about HD capture
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Capture for HDV is always real time.  One hour's worth of video will take one hour to capture.  This applys to all tape-based cameras and NLEs.

• 2. Re: question about HD capture
            KJonesy Level 1

Actually, it took much longer than real time. To capture a 15 minute clip, I would have to wait about 5 minutes for the capture to begin. Is this delay related  to the camera, the software, or the computer?

• 3. Re: question about HD capture
              KJonesy Level 1

Hmm..so, I don't know. Should I buy the camera? Should I upgrade to CS4? Hmmm.

• 4. Re: question about HD capture
                Jim_Simon Level 8

Actually, it took much longer than real time.

It can't.  Cameras play back at fixed speeds.  Capture happans at that speed - realtime.

I would have to wait about 5 minutes for the capture to begin.

Hmm.  More details.

• 5. Re: question about HD capture
                  KJonesy Level 1

Yeah, I know this sounds weird. I understand what you are saying about "real time" capture. What happens is-I plug in the firewire, bring up the capture screen, it recognizes the camera, I start the capture and the screen says it is capturing...but the time on the bottom left never changes from 0.00.00 and the frame count up at the top of the screen doesn't move off of zero either. It sits. At first, I assumed that it was just not going to capture from that camera. I tried it several times, nothing moved. Then I was called away from the computer for a few minutes, came back and it was doing the capture. So after that, I learned that if I plug the firewire in and wait about 5 minutes, it will start the capture. What I need to know is-is this normal for HD? If it is not normal, do you think I should purchase a different camera (I haven't bought a HD camera yet)? Or, do you think this is related to CS3? Would CS4 work better at capturing?