11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2009 9:06 AM by escouten

VERSION

micahjwalter

Hi,

I was trying to set the VERSION number in my Info.lua file as follows:

VERSION = {

},

but I must be doing this wrong as it keeps showing up as Version 1.0 in the Plugin-Manager. Any examples of how this should be formatted?

-m

• 1. Re: VERSION
          Mark J M Wilson Level 1

It was documented on page 21 of the 2.2 SDK manual update and there is an example of syntax in the flickr.lrdevplugin:

VERSION = { major=2, minor=0, revision=0, build=200000, },

You can also specify 'display' to show something different or localise the displayed string.

Hope that helps.

• 2. Re: VERSION
            john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As a follow up, is it possible for the plug-in to detect the version - and therefore use an LrHTTP call to show a "newer version available" message in the Info panel?

I've tried _PLUGIN.version, _PLUGIN.VERSION. Neither of which are documented, and neither of which work.

John

• 3. Re: VERSION
              Mark J M Wilson Level 1

John, I ended up with a long winded solution to that: I store major, minor, revision and build in a table, which I use to set the version info.  I can then use the same values to compare to the latest released value on my website.

BTW John, I saw your comment on my tagset issue - thanks and looking at it now.

• 4. Re: VERSION

Thanks  Mark, that gives me a way forward. Can't get it to work 

though!

John

• 5. Re: VERSION
                  Mark J M Wilson Level 1

I just realised that my explination was bad and that LrApplication.versionTable() might do what you want...and I am trying to remember why I am not using versionTable()...I really should write more comments in my code...

I actually store the values in two places - once in info.lua and again in another script, which now makes no sense at all but was probably very sensible last year

EDIT: just realised why - it gives Lightroom's version, not the plug-in's...

Message was edited by: Mark J M Wilson

• 6. Re: VERSION

Isn't that the version of Lightroom?

John

• 7. Re: VERSION
                      Mark J M Wilson Level 1

johnbeardy wrote:

Isn't that the version of Lightroom?

John

Yes, my edit must have crossed with your reply.  That does explain why it is commented out in my code and replaced with a recreation of the version table.

• 8. Re: VERSION
                        escouten Adobe Employee

Those calls aren't documented because they aren't implemented.

There isn't currently a way for a plug-in to look at its Info.lua declaration or its version declaration. I'll interpret this as a feature request for such.

• 9. Re: VERSION
                          DawMatt Level 3

escouten wrote:

There isn't currently a way for a plug-in to look at its Info.lua declaration or its version declaration.

Not technically true.

Why don't people just do this?  My latest plugin uses it and it works.

local info = require 'Info.lua'
                          local versionString = 'Version ' .. (info.VERSION.major or '0') .. '.' .. (info.VERSION.minor or '0')

Sure, Lightroom has to have this in memory already so this is a tad inefficient, but the files are small (and have to be present) so its relatively save to load them again.

Matt

• 10. Re: VERSION

Thanks Eric - that's a correct interpretation.

• 11. Re: VERSION
                              escouten Adobe Employee

D'oh! I stand corrected.

I don't see any problem with this approach.